[Windows10] Support Virtual Desktop

Zampano

Hey,
sorry for my bad english but i will try to explain my idea :D

So in W10 are virtual Desktops. I think it will be pretty nice if they will be supported as a Monitor in OBS.

The idea:
As Source you can add Virtual Desktops as a normal monitor in OBS.
The "UI to switch between the vDesktops" should be disabled.

I dont know if you understand what i mean, but i hope so.

Greetz Zampano

Bigmacbook

I hope to see this soon rather than later.

This would be help for us that only have one monitor, yes I could get another monitor, but money is tight right now so that suggestion isn't helpful

Cryonic

Well then grab an old office monitor on sale for like 10-15$. That will do for checking your stuff like chat, player whatever.
And then you can get a nice second monitor with a decent panel.

Jack0r

The Helping Squad
Not really sure if Windows is rendering a Virtual Monitor while its not live, in which case it would be hard to capture something on that monitor if that was your plan.

Bigmacbook

Not really sure if Windows is rendering a Virtual Monitor while its not live, in which case it would be hard to capture something on that monitor if that was your plan.

Well guess we'll have to wait and see if Microsoft releases API/SDK to utilize the virtual desktops, cause I just checked and there doesn't seem to be documented API/SDK info on the virtual desktop. DARN!

CoDEmanX

Any news on this?

I just tried the following:
  • Let VLC play a video on a virtual desktop
  • Go to a different desktop: sound of the video does definitely keep playing
  • Hit Windows + Tab to go to "task view": the thumbnail of the 2nd desktop does show the video playing
  • Hovering the 2nd desktop thumbnail: shows a preview of the 2nd desktop at full scale, including the playing video
So at least for the previews the desktop is rendered. Doesn't mean it is also rendered while being on the first desktop, outside of the task view. But perhaps it's possible to let Windows think that it has to render the other desktop as well for a preview, even if there is none?

The real question is if it's possible to capture that other desktop while it is inactive however...