Windows Capture turning black when switching screens

wilsons40

Hi,

I try to record a video via Window Capture source on Chrome in the background, however when I switch to a different window, OBS will continue recording the window + audio in the background but the video source would be black until I switch back to the source window.

This forces me to stay on the source screen without allowing me to do other things.

Danilo Roxette

I am also having the same problem, but when doing a rollback on the OBS update, I found out that its latest update (Oct, 6th - v26.0.2) is not the problem.

Then, I remembered that Google Chrome also had an update (Oct, 8th) and, when roll back the Chrome update, I found out the issue.

In my case, I use OBS to capture Chrome windows that play videos. With the recent Chrome update, if a window enters in front of the video being played (it does not necessarily need to be maximized), the video display goes off.

I'm having trouble finding a solution because the issue has similarities with others in which the entire capture goes black. In this case, the window is captured ok, only the videos stops.

I use a notebook (i5, GT930M) on windows 8.1 system. I don't want to give up on using Chrome or its recent update. If anyone has any clue of solution, I'll be glad to know.

Danilo Roxette

Well...

That was my first message here in OBS forum. I'm very disapointed that I don't have options to delete my own message or even delete my profile here. If there's an option somewhere, I've missed it.

I just would like to update my message, adding that the Chrome update on Oct, 8th is the version 86.0.4240.75 and I rolled back to version 84.0.4147.135. Chrome has automatic updates without asking user confirmation. I've looked over Google search on how to block it and made it as a temporary fix.

Stroupage

So I believe this will solve your issue because I had the same one. It seems that Chrome will not go through the process of rendering the video if it's not being displayed to the screen for the user. You can force it to do so by disabling the following flag. I'm attaching the link to where I found the answer to. Hope this helps
chrome://flags/#calculate-native-win-occlusion

Alens

So I believe this will solve your issue because I had the same one. It seems that Chrome will not go through the process of rendering the video if it's not being displayed to the screen for the user. You can force it to do so by disabling the following flag. I'm attaching the link to where I found the answer to. Hope this helps
chrome://flags/#calculate-native-win-occlusion
Thank you very much!