Why can't I use the same camera in two different scenes?

Meser

Hey friends
I am trying to use my main camera (webcam) in two different scenes.
In one scene I want my camera to appear on top of the screen share in small on the right side and I want to cut that at the edges.
In the second scene I only want my face, the problem is that the software doesn't let me put two sources that are on my camera.
I would love to really understand what I am doing wrong.
Here is a short video that may better explain my intention:
Thanks friends!

Harold

You need to use nested scenes or the source clone plugin to be able to use different filters on a camera in two different production scenes.

For the nested scene method, your filters need to be applied to the intermediary scene and not the camera itself.

Meser

You need to use nested scenes or the source clone plugin to be able to use different filters on a camera in two different production scenes.

For the nested scene method, your filters need to be applied to the intermediary scene and not the camera itself.
thanks!
is there any tutorial on how to do what you just said? i am really new with this platform so i am not sure what to do to get this result
thanks again!

koala

The main thing to know is that you can add a capture device only once. But you can create duplicates of the same source.
So, to start this, remove all your webcam sources in all your scenes to remove any leftovers.
Then add your webcam to wherever you want it.
To add another instance of the same webcam, start the same source adding process but choose the "add existing" option. "Add existing" is crucial for all additional webcam instances.
You crop the webcam source by first clicking on the source in the source list and making sure you see an image from the webcam. If you see an image, you also see the red border. To crop, press and hold down the ALT key, then drag the source border handles.

Don't add filters to the webcam source, if you have multiple instances of your webcam, because all filters will show up on all instances, not only the one you added it. To add different filters to different webcam instances, create groups and put each webcam instance into a different group. Then apply the filter to the group and not directly to the webcam. This way the filters stay independent from each other. You don't need to use the nested scenes feature Harold told about. Using groups is a bit easier in my opinion, because you don't need to clutter your scene list and have better control over the size of the source.

Meser

The main thing to know is that you can add a capture device only once. But you can create duplicates of the same source.
So, to start this, remove all your webcam sources in all your scenes to remove any leftovers.
Then add your webcam to wherever you want it.
To add another instance of the same webcam, start the same source adding process but choose the "add existing" option. "Add existing" is crucial for all additional webcam instances.
You crop the webcam source by first clicking on the source in the source list and making sure you see an image from the webcam. If you see an image, you also see the red border. To crop, press and hold down the ALT key, then drag the source border handles.

Don't add filters to the webcam source, if you have multiple instances of your webcam, because all filters will show up on all instances, not only the one you added it. To add different filters to different webcam instances, create groups and put each webcam instance into a different group. Then apply the filter to the group and not directly to the webcam. This way the filters stay independent from each other. You don't need to use the nested scenes feature Harold told about. Using groups is a bit easier in my opinion, because you don't need to clutter your scene list and have better control over the size of the source.
OMG you are amazing thank you!
Last question - can I create a round frame around my photo?

koala

Not directly. With a paint app, you can create an image that defines this frame. The inside transparent. Add this image as media source and put it above the image you want to shape and make it the same size, so it obscures the edges. This can get you a frame, like a frame of a painting.

If you just want your webcam image have a non-rectangular shape, you can instead create a mask image with a painting app that defines the shape you want. Then add a "Image Mask/Blend" filter and configure this mask in the filter settings. See https://obsproject.com/kb/image-mask-blend-filter

Meser

Not directly. With a paint app, you can create an image that defines this frame. The inside transparent. Add this image as media source and put it above the image you want to shape and make it the same size, so it obscures the edges. This can get you a frame, like a frame of a painting.

If you just want your webcam image have a non-rectangular shape, you can instead create a mask image with a painting app that defines the shape you want. Then add a "Image Mask/Blend" filter and configure this mask in the filter settings. See https://obsproject.com/kb/image-mask-blend-filter
thanks!
but if I add the Mask filter it will add the filter to all of the cameras, right?
isn't there an option to add the mask only in the scene where my image is small on the side?

Harold

You would add the filter to a scene that you use in between the production scene and your camera in order for that to work.

koala

In my first post in this thread, I explained how to use groups to uncouple sources from filters.