Question / Help While i record i'm not lagging, but the recorded clip after the recording does

carlmmii

Still would be useful to see a replay log at CQP 14... that's what's needed to test whether the encoding lag is a result of something on the GPU due to the quality setting, or outside due to data rate.

Barring those results though, if it comes back without issue, then the next step (if this is the path to take) would be to do a disk benchmark using CrystalDiskMark. I know you're using an SSD, but things just aren't adding up.

carlmmii

Actually the logs are showing the replay at CQP 14 is basically perfect.

So... yeah... something is going on with trying to output in realtime to your storage devices. I'd run CrystalDiskMark and see if things make any kind of sense there. I don't know exactly what your storage configuration is, but in general if you're using SATA, SSD's should have a large write block performance of around 500-600MB/s, and m.2 NVME can go as high as 1000-2000MB/s (or higher, if PCIe4.0x4). These numbers are way more than what would be expected of normal encoding output (which normally would be more like 20MB/s for even very high quality).

JeffT.K

ok so i've played it first with the default video player of windows and it was laggy, then i switched to VLC and it didn't lag
then i tried with the default one again and it didn't lag

JeffT.K

For now the only thing we did was changing to mp4 to mkv, and the recording path from E: to C:

so what should i do now?

carlmmii

Yeah, don't ever use the standard windows player. It doesn't like playing back at 60fps. VLC is much better, but it also can be susceptible to its own frame skips even when the source video is fine.

Some hail mary things to try, just to see if there's something very weird going on that isn't shown (again, all of this is just testing, just to see if things change):
- Use the old nvenc encoder by resizing output
- Use nvenc (new) on CBR 40000
- Use x264 veryfast at CRF 14

At this point, I'm honestly at a loss for what's going on unless somehow your storage is actually bottlenecking the output.

JeffT.K

-I can't find the old nvenc encoder
-CBR at 40000 doesn't lag or freeze but it doesn't look good
-x264 veryfast at CRF 14 made my game lag and also the recording

carlmmii

The old nvenc encoder can be forced by selecting Nvenc (new), and then setting rescale output to a resolution other than your current output resolution (just use 1896x1064... it's close enough).

Just a thought though.... just how big is that file from the replay log at cqp 14?

Sukiyucky

Jeff, I think you are expecting too much with that CPU/GPU combination. You are trying to deliver a solid 1080p recording on not so great hardware.

To give you an idea of how slow your CPU is, go to Passmark and look at its benchmark rating (5537). Its score is in the lower 10% of the High End CPU list. Its liken to a AMD FX-8350 (5931) of which I owned many years ago.

The GPU you have is also so so. I know because I used to use a GTX 1060 when it first came out. When I paired the FX-8350 with the GTX 1060, it produced FPS in the range of 40-80FPS with me having to fiddle with in game video settings to get as much out of it as I could.

Given I had similar hardware I liken it to your present system and can say from experience, that you are expecting way too much for what that combo can produce. I certainly wouldn't use it today as the quality was crap (to say the least).

I would suggest you upgrade... my 2 cents.