Whenever relaunching OBS the screen source shows black until I remove the source and add it again

Hamerovv

Hi guys,
Whenever I launch OBS the screen source shows black screen and won't record the screen. I have to remove this source and then add it again.
If I restart OBS I must repeat this process.
Does anyone knows how to solve this?

Running Macbook pro intel processor with Big Sur 11.4

sasebastian

Are you disconnecting and reconnecting the source between use? Are you plugging the source into the same USB port? And, do you notice the source has a different name each time? For example, when you add the source the first time it is called "USB Camera" and then after you reconnect the source and open OBS "USB Camera" is black and it is called "USB Camera #2"?

For whatever reason, when plugging in a USB device (camera or whatever) into a USB port, MacOS does not always recognize it as the same device. Especially when you plug it in to a different port each time. MacOS will always give the device a new name when you plug it into a different port, and sometimes even when you plug it in to the same port.

This is a pain because OBS is looking for the name of the device you last used and if MacOS changes the name then you get a black screen.

However, I have noticed on some rare occasions when taking my MaBook Pro off the dock and then reducing it, the source will have the same name and OBS will show that black screen even when the name doesn't change. This is clearly a bug that needs to be fixed.