Bug Report When my AVerMedia LGP is active, opening any video source property windows freezes OBS

This is actually an issue that exists in the original OBS as well.

This happens when you open up the video properties of any video source while the video source capturing my capture card is active. In OBS it was possible to disable the video source (as long as it wasn't a global source), but in OBS-Studio the only way to work around this is to remove the problematic source entirely.

Now, I'm aware that there's probably a huge difference between how XSplit and OBS address video sources, but seemingly nothing I do in XSplit can make the program freeze when working with my LGP capture card, which makes me think that it's not related to the device.

In this log I opened up OBS-Studio and doubleclicked on my LGP video source:
Code:
23:50:27: OBS 0.7.1 (windows)
23:50:27: CPU Name: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2630QM CPU @ 2.00GHz
23:50:27: CPU Speed: 1995MHz
23:50:27: Physical Cores: 4, Logical Cores: 8
23:50:27: Physical Memory: 3990MB Total, 2136MB Free (NOTE: 4 gigs max is normal for 32bit programs)
23:50:27: Windows Version: 6.2 Build 9200
23:50:27: audio settings reset:
   samples per sec: 44100
   speakers:  2
   buffering (ms):  1000

23:50:27: Loading up D3D11 on adapter Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000
23:50:27: D3D11 loaded sucessfully, feature level used: 41216
23:50:28: video settings reset:
   base resolution:  1280x720
   output resolution: 1024x576
   fps:  30/1
23:50:29: output 'default_file_output' (flv_output) created
23:50:29: output 'default_stream' (rtmp_output) created
23:50:29: encoder 'default_h264' (obs_x264) created
23:50:29: encoder 'default_aac' (ffmpeg_aac) created
23:50:29: service 'default_service' (rtmp_common) created
23:50:29: WASAPI: Device 'Lijningang (2- BEHRINGER USB WDM AUDIO 2.8.40)' initialized
23:50:29: source 'Mic/Aux' (wasapi_input_capture) created
23:50:29: source 'Scene' (scene) created
23:50:29: source 'LGP' (dshow_input) created
23:50:29: Update check failed: Unable to init SSL Context:

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
I'm confused, I would have to see an example of the problem (such as a video demonstrating what happens perhaps) ..The device runs in its own thread, completely separate from the rest of the process, especially the user interface. It should have no effect on the user interface.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
Okay I think I see now. There is a section of code that isn't in that other thread. I'm guessing that with this particular device (LGP), it can't open a second instance of the device, which is required to query the list of devices. Slightly annoying to be honest, but I suppose I can make a fix in the future.

Ahh, I see. That makes sense. Indeed, the LGP (through Stream Engine - which is necessary for it to work with OBS and similar programs) can only be used in one instance. It's quite annoying, honestly. For example, if I have Skype running Skype will actually reserve the LGP Stream Engine for some reason, making the device unavailable for other programs.

The problem probably lies mostly with AVerMedia, though. It'd be nice if you can fix it, but I understand if this is a low priority issue.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
You can only use a single instance of any device on windows at a given time. This rule doesn't just apply to LGP, it applies to all video devices, even webcams. Skype must be trying to use the LGP for whatever reason, check to make sure skype doesn't activate it or anything.

I'm aware, but the way the LGP Stream Engine works is that it actually disappears from the video devices lists if one program uses it in some way. Even if it's not activated, strangely enough. I use my Logitech webcam in Skype, so my LGP isn't actually active when using Skype. It's just that whenever Skype is running at all, the LGP Stream Engine becomes exclusive to Skype for some reason.

It's not something exclusive to Skype either, actually. If I use AmarecTV to monitor the LGP output, the LGP Stream Engine disappears from the device list in OBS. If I shut AmarecTV down, the device reappears.

I have no idea how it works. I think it's probably some major flaw in AVerMedia's coding. Skype really isn't an issue for me, though. I just make sure it's not running before I go live. The issue I have most trouble with is that OBS locks up if I head into the video source properties when my LGP is active, but it seems to be primarily an AVerMedia problem.

Jamacanbacn

The issue is the drivers for Avermedia are really shit. What happens is if the video is being previewed and modified at the same time then OBS will crash. The thing is the current beta build does not have a way to exit preview . So if you use an Avermedia card in the current beta build it will crash OBS.
This of course does not happen with something like a webcam because their settings are designed to be edited on the fly.
Idk if there is a work around for this but it even happens in Xsplit and the Normal version of OBS.
I hope this can maybe help you Jim.This is more of a Avermedia fault .

On a side note: So far everything else has been working fine in the beta build and performance is even better on my system :) Keep up the great work and showing that it is possible to have top of the line software in a free to use package.

The issue is the drivers for Avermedia are really shit. What happens is if the video is being previewed and modified at the same time then OBS will crash. The thing is the current beta build does not have a way to exit preview . So if you use an Avermedia card in the current beta build it will crash OBS.
This of course does not happen with something like a webcam because their settings are designed to be edited on the fly.
Idk if there is a work around for this but it even happens in Xsplit and the Normal version of OBS.

On a side note: So far everything else has been working fine in the beta build and performance is even better on my system :) Keep up the great work and showing that it is possible to have top of the line software in a free to use package.

Not really the avermedia extreme cap u3 works fine but I did figure out something. When using ANY avermedia pruduct try keeping the preset on slower. I foun d that this way doesn't:s crash and it does not skip frames and it does crash in the middle of recording

While I tend to agree, this is mostly a failure of the Stream Engine software. The Stream Engine device can only be addressed once, after which it disappears from the available video devices lists across the system. If Skype decides to use the device, you can't use it in OBS anymore, for instance.

In order to populate the video devices list in OBS, it needs to create a second instance of the device. Normally this works fine, but the Stream Engine device doesn't work like this for some reason. It can only create one instance. This is making OBS crash.

The way OBS-Studio works with the always-on preview is similar to how XSplit works. That is fine, normally, unless you're dealing with the Stream Engine software.

Now, the reason why I focus on the Stream Engine software is because this seems to be a problem exclusive to that piece of software. I've been fiddling around with XSplit lately, which has native support for my AVerMedia LGP. I don't need the Stream Engine software to make it work, as I can just address the device directly. It should be noted that this makes the device perform infinitely better than with the Stream Engine. In XSplit the LGP always works, whereas Stream Engine tends to be very unreliable. Not only that, but addressed directly in XSplit the LGP can actually sustain a 60 FPS stream, which I couldn't do when using the Stream Engine in OBS (or rather, sometimes I could and sometimes I couldn't, depending on Stream Engine's mood).

The last time Stream Engine was updated was in 2013, which is incredibly painful to see. I tried contacting AVerMedia support, but that department doesn't seem to exist. They used to have a forum, but it seems that they got rid of that as well. All in all, I don't think we will ever see any updates to the Stream Engine software.

On a side note, AVerMedia doesn't seem to really know which cards actually need the Stream Engine software. The AVerMedia Live Gamer HD for instance doesn't need it, even though AVerMedia mentions on their site that you need Stream Engine to make it work with OBS and offers it as a download. Very confusing.

For the time being I'm using XSplit, because using Stream Engine is just too random and too much of a hassle. Again, this is not really an OBS issue (although it'd be great if it could address the device directly like with some other AVerMedia cards). The Stream Engine software should just be better.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
I will add native support for the LGP once I actually buy one. We have support for encoded devices now so the stream engine will no longer be required.

ThePooN

Just in case - I have the same problem on OBS1. It would be cool if you could also patch OBS1 if it's easy to do for you.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
Still haven't bought it yet, sorry for the delay, been backlogged with other distractions.

ThePooN

Hey @Jim, tested the the LGP native support with OBS-Studio on Windows. Good job man! IT DOESN'T CRASH LIKE RECENTRAL! And you achieved a delay of 0.09sec with 720p60fps capture, rather than 0.3sec with RECentral!

Amazing job dude! Continue like this!