Question / Help What's the difference between "Scaled Resolution" and "Rescale Output"?

See title. In the Output section of the settings under the Streaming tab, there is a tickbox labeled Rescale Output that lets you select a resolution. In the Video section of the settings, there is another dropdown labeled Scaled Resolution that also lets you select a resolution.

What is the difference between these two options?

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
Changing the Scaled Resolution in video settings changes the resolution that is sent to the encoder. You could optionally rescale the resolution on the encoder if you want to, say, record at one resolution and stream on another.

So the flow goes:

Base resolution (defines "canvas size") -> sources are laid out on the canvas -> sources are rendered and canvas is scaled to the Scaled Resolution -> frame is sent to encoder -> if Rescale Output is enabled, the frame is scaled again -> frame is streamed out or saved locally depending on selected output

So you could have a 1080p canvas for your 1080p game, record locally at 720p, and stream at 480p if you wanted.

Is there any significant performance difference between scaling the resolution pre- or post- encoder? Intuition would tell me that scaling before encoding would be slightly less expensive, is that right?

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
Scaling pre-encoder is done on the GPU, so it is much more efficient. If you only want to scale "once", definitely do it from the Video settings, not the output settings.

coldbacon

I use "Game Capture" as a source. (b/c I don't want my desktop to appear when I am recording)

In addition to the "Video>Scaled Resolution" and "Output>Rescale Output", the Game Capture properties has a "Scale Resolution" setting. (a total of three scaling settings)

I am guessing the Game Capture setting scales before encoding... but is it before or after "Video>Scaled Resolution", and should I use the Game Capture or Video setting rescaler?

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
It goes in order of: Source scale => Video scale => Output scale

I recommend just rescaling in the Video settings, unless your Game Capture is of a non-standard resolution and you don't want to have to rescale it by hand to fit into your preview window.