Question / Help What to buy 2018 13 inch i5 or i7

jeroenvip

At the moment I am working on a:
MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015)
2,7 GHz Intel Core i5
8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536 MB

What to buy ?

2.3GHz quad‑core 8th‑generation Intel Core i5 processor, Turbo Boost up to 3.8GHz
Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655
16GB 2133MHz LPDDR3 memory
512GB SSD storage

or

2.7GHz quad‑core 8th‑generation Intel Core i7 processor, Turbo Boost up to 4.5GHz
Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655
16GB 2133MHz LPDDR3 memory
512GB SSD storage

Usage
Phpstorm (programming software with multiple instances open)
Gaming in spare time (medium settings in games is enough for me)
Webbrowsing
OBS streaming (https://obsproject.com)

The 15 inch is not an option for me, cause I am in love with the portability of the 13 inch.

Thanks for the help

Narcogen

Doesn't make much difference, to be honest.

With regards to use for OBS, if you're already committed to MacOS (which doesn't perform as well on the same hardware as the Windows or Linux versions and has fewer encoder options) and to a laptop (which by the nature of their design require more compromises than desktops) the remaining choices you have simply don't make much difference.

OBS has to render frames before it can encode them, and the two models above have the same GPU.

If you choose to use x264 encoding the faster CPU could potentially be better, but you may very well run into a GPU bottleneck before that. You would probably just end up running a capture at whatever frame size and frame rate you can run comfortably, and then encoding that with the veryfast preset (or faster depending on what you're capturing). CPU demands increase quite a lot for small quality increases above veryfast, and I am not certain the difference between the 2.3 Ghz i5 and the 2.7 Ghz i7 would get you there. It would probably have a more dramatic impact on the performance of the application you're capturing than on OBS itself.