What Should I upgrade?

Toastalogy

Hey, I need some suggestions before I purchase a better laptop.
I had a dell xps 13 in the past and a computer but I wasn’t able to record without lagging.
I wanted to carry this with me so I’m going to be using a laptop to record my gameplay, I was wondering are these specs good enough that could run both the game smoothly and record without frame drop.

Asus Tuf Gaming A15 R7 15.6" FHD 144hz Gaming Laptop (512GB)
Processor TypeAMD Ryzen 7
Processor Model NumberAMD® Ryzen™ 7 4800H
Processor CoresOcta Core
Processor Memory Cache8MB
Processor Clock Speed (GHz)2.9
Processor Max. Clock Speed (GHz)4.2
RAM (GB)16
SSD Storage512GB
Total Storage512GB
Graphics processorNVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1650 Ti
Graphics memory4GB

Lawrence_SoCal

I'm not a gamer... but based on other threads, I suspect the answer in part depends on what gaming you will be attempting. Recognize that gaming can be hardware resource intensive. then recording/encoding adds even more. So first is making sure computer can handle what you plan to play (now, and during systems life) and then overhead of stream/encoding/recording. You post doesn't indicate either game type or expectations (60 fps? multi-monitor and same or different monitor refresh rate, etc.. lots of details that impact success or not

Figuring out OBS optimization will help (or pay for higher end hardware ;^)
How long to do you expect this system to last?
The GPU 1650 Ti should be fine now, for 1080p streaming but on the desktop I consider my next minimum to be the 1650 Super based on Turing encoder. Not sure what is available on mobile in terms of latest hardware NVENC support chip, but worth looking into implications of the differences and if any of them make any difference to you

Hopefully someone into gaming can give you a better reply... though this is in wrong forum. Reposting to Windows Support forum will get seen by more folks attuned to your request (vs this forum which is about OBS itself)