What is best OBS Studio Settings for capturing (PAL) 8mm Hi8 S-video to digital

TeddyBear1970

Hello, can someone please recommend what is the best OBS Studio settings for capturing (PAL) 8mm Hi8 S-video and converting to digital.
I have some old Sony (PAL) Hi8 90min (HMP) Metal Particle & (HME) Metal Evaporated tapes that I would like to convert to MP4 format in the very best quality possible.
I will be using my old Canon UC-X30 Hi8 8mm Video Camcorder connected to my PC via AV TO USB2.0 Capture Card using a SVHS S-Video High Quality Gold Plated Video Cable Lead to capture the video.

Video Settings

Base (Canvas) Resolution?

Output (Scaled) Resolution?

Common FPS Values?

Any help or assistance on the best settings would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Suslik V

Settings for OBS depends on your "AV TO USB2.0 Capture Card" output (that will be the input for OBS).

In case, your capture card outputs 720x576 (PAL):
Base (Canvas) Resolution = Output (Scaled) Resolution = 768x576, (this is 4:3)
FPS = 25 (OBS produces only progressive frames)*
Right-click menu over the Video Capture Device source, Transform > Stretch to screen (or keyboard shortcut: "Ctrl + S")

*in case your capture card produces interlaced output (not all cards able to do this), then you need to apply special deinterlacing filter, right-click menu over the Video Capture Device source Deintarlacing > Yadif. If you want to keep higher fps in the final video, then Deintarlacing > Yadif x2, and set OBS to FPS = 50.

Quality as max as your PC can handle it (there is encoding statistic window, main menu View > Stats). For casual videos, and moderate PC you can select main menu File > Settings > Output > Output Mode: Simple > Recording Quality: Indistinguishable Quality, Large File Size. Despite warnings in OBS, you can set Recording Format: mp4, because digitizing of home tapes it is not live streaming (or new experience that cannot be re-done). Usually, you making master copy (huge files) then you running much slower tasks and using more advanced encoding techniques with your lovely video editor to compress your footage with nice ratio of quality/file_size.
About video editors:
If editing not needed then search online for "HandBrake" utility (converter from one media file to other). If you are master of command line utils or have programming skills, search for "FFmpeg" utils (use them like mentioned here: https://obsproject.com/forum/thread...ing-for-me-and-my-computer.168826/post-620581)