Question / Help What Build is best for my DJ live Stream platform.

Josh Williams

Hi everyone, quick run down of my situation I run a broadcasting DJ platform from a studio. Im streaming to facebook in 720p and im also recording the stream at the same time in 1080p. I use 264 to stream then the apple hardware encoder to record, to spread out the pressure on the system. Im streaming for 90mins at a time so the recorded files are large but I condense them in post.

I currently run:
- 3 Logitech c920s (But sometimes 2 due to the daft Logitech not recognising the cam settings)
- Direct Audio through a Focusrite sound card
- Running a midi key program in the back ground to be able to use a Akai midi controller
- Run it all through a Late 2016 15" Mac Book Pro.

Screen Shot 2018-02-24 at 23.02.36.png

Im getting pretty good results but seems like I'm literally squeezing every drop out of the system and it starts to slow at times and miss the odd frame.

That being said I'm wanting to build a desktop setup because soon in the future I am wanting to swap to 3 Lumix G7s with Elgato cam link or the Magewell capture card if there is too much pressure on the system due to the magewell having some decent processing power built in, I want the most pro broadcasting stream possible.

So my question is If I was to build a PC to run this system what would be the best CPUs to use if im wanting to stream and record in 264, Is it more Cores and threads like a dual xeon or a single i7 or AMD Thread Ripper etc.

P.S this computer will be used to do nothing else other than run OBS

Thanks Josh

Last edited: