WebRTC / OBS

vociti

I was thinking about testing my coding skills to see if I could get OBS to be compatible with WebRTC, get it away from RTMP. Is it possible? Or do you know of anyone else that is attempting it?

c3r1c3

It might be possible. OBS currently uses ffmpeg for a lot of stuff on the backend, so you might want to check with them first to see if they have WebRTC support, or plan on adding it.

vociti

It might be possible. OBS currently uses ffmpeg for a lot of stuff on the backend, so you might want to check with them first to see if they have WebRTC support, or plan on adding it.

so, is ffmpeg responsible for not only encoding using h.264, but also creating the RTMP protocol which enables streaming to youtube, twitch, etc?

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
OBS doesn't use FFmpeg for its standard encoding, nor does it use its RTMP output capabilities for streaming via RTMP -- it uses x264 directly with librtmp.

However, in the advanced settings, you can select FFmpeg as the encoder and can probably set it up in such a way that it also broadcasts the encoding over WebRTC. I'm fairly certain that method already works with RTSP.

vociti

OBS doesn't use FFmpeg for its standard encoding, nor does it use its RTMP output capabilities for streaming via RTMP -- it uses x264 directly with librtmp.

However, in the advanced settings, you can select FFmpeg as the encoder and can probably set it up in such a way that it also broadcasts the encoding over WebRTC. I'm fairly certain that method already works with RTSP.

Thank youdodgepong. Very helpful information. Gonna investigate this week and give it a try.

Nodebuck

Where can I select FFmpeg as the encoder? I only see x264, NVENC and QuickSync in the encoder list. (OBS Studio 0.16.2, Windows 10)

vociti

@muxlux we are actually trying right now. @Jack0r, does that mean ffmpeg output would only work for the recording feature of OBS or would that also apply to streaming? Or would we have to tell ffmpeg which server to stream the RTP to?

Rayj

I have been playing with WebRTC for quite awhile, however not in the capacity that this thread is investigating.
I would be very interested if OBS or a similar program can use WebRTC as the video source.

Has there been any progress in this area?

Thanks,

Ray

Pepito-06

Hi,

I've installed the obs-studio-webrtc, and got the shortcut of it on my desktop. launched this instance of OBS, configured websocket by default (on port 4444). How do I get to stream obs from an html page ?
When I try to access http://myip:4444, I get an error 426.
Any Ideas ?
My goal is to get the stream to use it as a feedback video.

Thanks !

PauloVaz

Hi everyone. I'm currently using OBS WebRTC and I recently bought a stream deck from Elgato, but it seems it only works with regular OBS. Does anyone here can help me with that?