Question / Help Webcam severely pixelated when Live

Lucky Chappy

I have transcoding options with Facebook. I get roughly 1k views per 2 hour stream, that is their old settings for the stream. Their new settings are 10k bitrate minimum for 1080p and 16k max for 1080p.

This is their new settings they recommend, I have contacted them directly and they have responded with that.

Facebook is extremely bad at being transparent with its creators, they don’t update their pages very often which gets frustrating, however, I can assure you their new recommendations as seen in the email they sent me is 10k-16k bitrate for 1080p.
Also, the webcam pixelation occurs regardless of 4.5k bitrate, 6k bitrate, 10k bitrate etc...

Malic

Be aware that views per hour is not the same as concurrent viewers, which is how they all prioritize video bandwidth, people looking at it and then leaving within a few seconds is not counted as a viewer.

Does it do it if you set the webcam to be a 720p capture, and then use a scaling filter for the full screen scenes?

Toss the streaming part away and lets double check, does it do it for local recordings too? If so, it sounds like you might be saturating the USB bandwidth

Lucky Chappy

Be aware that views per hour is not the same as concurrent viewers, which is how they all prioritize video bandwidth, people looking at it and then leaving within a few seconds is not counted as a viewer.

Does it do it if you set the webcam to be a 720p capture, and then use a scaling filter for the full screen scenes?

Toss the streaming part away and lets double check, does it do it for local recordings too? If so, it sounds like you might be saturating the USB bandwidth
I understand the difference in views, Facebook gives you the option to view your 3 second views, 10 second views and 1 minute views...

I generally have 15-30 concurrent viewers for the entire stream.
It does not do it for local recordings so it definitely has to do with the streaming side of things.

TryHD

Make sure you know what are talking about before you claim them as nonsense before embarrassing yourself. I will pass on to the Twitch video engineer that I was relaying with on Discord how they do not know what they work on and should come here to get info from you instead.
That seems to be the problem I know what i talk about and you embarrasing yourself more and more. You confirmed my points and did not even realized it.

looking at
3. Twitch will lower nothing for you because they would need to reencode your stream for that.
You mean... transcode into streaming formats?
Than
You can not stream at that high of settings, as you do not get transcoding ( the bit that takes source signal and transcodes into all the different viewable resolutions), and Twitch will not allow you to run it that high.
720p @ 30 fps is standard until you get affiliate and gain transcoding at least.
Does not matter what your machine at home is capable of, until you are allowed to stream at higher res and frame rates, it is going to lower it for you without your input.
Does not require any more from you to categorize your "knowledge", you heard here and there something but you don't know anything.

Maybe this sounded a bit rude but if somebody reads the thread and knows even less than you, they are screwed if they would follow your advise. So I made this clear to avoid others the pain of trying your stuff.

EVOSIDD

Same problems I'm facing in YouTube streams my bitrate is 9000 & then also my webcam pixelates alot did you guy's have come up to any solution? Any help is appreciated

carlmmii

If you're streaming 1080p60, then 9000kbps is still fairly low, especially if it's a fast moving scene. Any small section like a corner webcam will appear blurry just because the compression algorithm has to deal with all the actual changes in the scene.

Also keep in mind that youtube transcodes EVERYTHING. So even if you send youtube a perfect quality upload, you still have youtube's compression that it applies. This will be different depending on the resolution, and as far as I know, 1080p uses the lower quality encoder and does not really get enough bitrate to keep things usable for fast action.

You may want to try streaming 1440p with at least 15000kbps just as a test. You should be able to right-click on your live youtube stream and select "Stats for nerds", and that should tell you which youtube encoder is being used. AVC (h.264) is the lower quality, VP9 is higher quality.

EVOSIDD

If you're streaming 1080p60, then 9000kbps is still fairly low, especially if it's a fast moving scene. Any small section like a corner webcam will appear blurry just because the compression algorithm has to deal with all the actual changes in the scene.

Also keep in mind that youtube transcodes EVERYTHING. So even if you send youtube a perfect quality upload, you still have youtube's compression that it applies. This will be different depending on the resolution, and as far as I know, 1080p uses the lower quality encoder and does not really get enough bitrate to keep things usable for fast action.

You may want to try streaming 1440p with at least 15000kbps just as a test. You should be able to right-click on your live youtube stream and select "Stats for nerds", and that should tell you which youtube encoder is being used. AVC (h.264) is the lower quality, VP9 is higher quality.
I'm using nvenc (new) encoder in streamlabs I'll try your suggested settings in my upcoming streams hope it solves my problem one question instead of doing 1440p with 15000 bitrate how about 1080p with 15000 kbps?

carlmmii

You can try, but as I said, youtube re-encodes everything you send it, and there's 2 encoding formats it can use (AVC vs VP9). For the same bitrate, VP9 is leagues better quality, but youtube only seems to use that encoder for higher resolutions. If you can get youtube to use that encoder at 1080p, you'll be fine, otherwise you're going to be stuck with youtube's AVC limitations (both the encoder, and the bitrate limit youtube uses for it).

stevenschulz

I realize this is over a year old but if anyone is looking for a real solution to the problem presented here never mind 98% of the discussion here and do this:

In OBS go to Settings > Output > then look at Preset > change it to Low- Latency Quality > that should do it if everything else is good.

Play with the different Low-Latency settings to see if one works a little better than the others for you. Also make sure you are always running OBS as the Admin (Right Click Icon > Run as administrator). This doesn't let windows throttle down OBS to preserve your game's performance.

Here are my current streaming settings. Happy Streaming.

Attachments

• OBS Settings Pic Low Res.jpg
    OBS Settings Pic Low Res.jpg
    592.9 KB · Views: 297

TryHD

For what low latency? Doesn't help with anything but lowers the quality.
Than your stream settings are not suited for streaming, your keyframe interval should be between 2-4 seconds depending on the service you stream to.
That settings are worse than what OBS will do out of the box. That is no help, that is sabotage.

kazary

hello if i am lucky maybe i will receive an answer
hello . using obs with same settings that till today worked perfect . today tho the preview image was crystal clear ..tho the live image on the site where i was broadcasting had the option to chose to be seen in 1080 resolution yet the image looked more like 460 resolution . i use 8000bitrate,1920x1080 base and output resolution for cam ,. logitech c930 e .. and a a mac which has no other programs while streaming again been streaming with same settings for 2 years and today out of the blue i had this issue . any help will be much appreciated . ps_ installed on my pc obs and tried to stream from there .. same issue

https://obsproject.com/logs/L_CDSUoSSrj40IBq

TryHD

10.000 kbit/s bitrate should be enough for a webcam only, are you sure that the player did switch to 1080p?
You could record with the streamencoder and check locally if your output is ok.

kazary

10.000 kbit/s bitrate should be enough for a webcam only, are you sure that the player did switch to 1080p?
You could record with the streamencoder and check locally if your output is ok.
hello . thank you for your reply .
i did tried bitrate on 8k ,on 10k ....and same . the most odd thing is that till yesterday when this happened i had same settings for more than maybe 2 years andf never happened . yes i did tried to record and see whats going on and then recording is bad too ,just like the image on live camera . I really don;t know what is going on

kazary

hello . thank you for your reply .
i did tried bitrate on 8k ,on 10k ....and same . the most odd thing is that till yesterday when this happened i had same settings for more than maybe 2 years andf never happened . yes i did tried to record and see whats going on and then recording is bad too ,just like the image on live camera . I really don;t know what is going on

yes the output is 1080. encoder Apple VT hardware encoder . i tried with the 264 one also as was set up before and same issue is going on

TribuCast

We've run into what I think is a similar issue but changing the settings suggested above doesn't seem to do anything. We have the camera installed in a business environment and the camera is connected via ethernet to the pc that is running OBS. I am anticipating there are network issues but would like any perspective/input others might have. See the attached screen shot of what the image looks like. Note the audio was fine.
Screenshot_30.jpg

KananStarks2023

Tried another USB port and did not work. Even as high as 8k bitrate my webcam gets pixelated albeit, less pixelated but it’s still there.

I have friends who stream at 6k bitrate with the same settings and their webcam works fine.
Did you ever find the fix to this? Happening to me for the last week and nobody knows anything