Question / Help WebCam Not Working

mefinnigan

I've done it all and my WebCam is not working. It is not being used in any other applications. It just doesn't show up. Tried to change the resolution, removed it, added it again. Nothing works. Any ideas?

orboe

Did you follow that guide I linked to open camera privacy settings? You want to turn on the camera setting to allow OBS to use the webcam.

relink: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4468232/windows-10-camera-microphone-and-privacy

That is a very common fix with newer versions of Windows.

Can you take a screen shot of the full properties menu for you "video capture source" for the webcam? Just so I can see how it is configured.

Also, if you use the Logitech software for the webcam, can you view it in that software?

Last edited:

mefinnigan

I got the webcam to work. Not sure how. Now it can only be used as one source. When I add a Video Capture Device to just one other scene, it doesn't show up.

Attachments

• Screenshot_1.jpg
    Screenshot_1.jpg
    219.4 KB · Views: 3,268
  • Screenshot_2.jpg
    Screenshot_2.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 2,886

orboe

You can right click and copy the source from one scene and paste it in another. All scenes can use the same sources. The scene just says what should be shown and where.

Sukiyucky

Rename the existing webcam source so you can identify it. Right click and choose rename and give it something meaningful like C920.

Then:

- Click the Scene name where you want to add the webcam to highlight
- Click the "+" button in the Sources column to add a new video capture instance
- A Create/Select Source dialog box will appear (see below image)
- The existing C920 webcam should be listed
- Tick the Add Existing radio button and left click the source from the list box
- Hit OK

Attachments

• c920.jpg
    c920.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 1,991

mefinnigan

I did as you said and renamed the existing webcam source so I can identify it (C920 as you suggested).

I thought for sure this would work because it sounds so reasonable. However, hitting the OK button doesn't let me. Any ideas?

Attachments

• Screenshot.jpg
    Screenshot.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 766
Last edited:

Sukiyucky

Update:
Did you select the C920 text in the list box first? You have to do that and then the OK button will be made available.

Try updating your webcam driver. Sometimes when Windows does an update, the webcam or USB goes haywire. I've ran into this type of problem and fixed it by downloading the current Logitech Gaming Framework.

The latest is version 9.02.65 but take care to scroll through the page to make sure you download the currently dated and latest version.

Another thing you can try to do is unplug from whatever USB port and try putting it in a powered USB hub, or a port on the back/front panel of your computer. Non powered external USB hubs may be a problem.

Also go to device manager and take a look for errors:
- Sound, video and game controllers (it should be listed under there as "HD Pro Webcam C920")
- Universal Serial Bus controllers

Last edited:

mefinnigan

I figured it out.
You can right click and copy the source from one scene and paste it in another. All scenes can use the same sources. The scene just says what should be shown and where.
I finally got it! When you copy the webcam source from one scene, you go to your other scene's webcam source and click Paste (Duplicate) That's where I got confused. It's not just looking for the Paste button, you use Paste (Duplicate).

Thanks to you all for your efforts and particularly...your patience. I'm good to go!

Narcogen

You may not want to do that.

You can paste as either a Reference or a Duplicate. Duplicate makes a separate source. Reference makes a copy of the original, so that changes to either are effected on the other.

Video device drivers are usually exclusive; pasting as a Duplicate rather than a Reference may cause other scenes with that same source to stop working.