Question / Help Webcam isn't detected as 1080p

Tyler Newton

I'm using my Logitech C920 HD webcam with OBS, and the highest resolution available for it in OBS is 1280x720. I know that it will record 1080p, because it will do so with other programs on the same computer. I've seen this forum here ( https://obsproject.com/forum/threads/getting-the-most-out-of-your-webcam.1036/ ) that suggests using a custom resolution option, but I don't see this in the newest version of OBS Multiplatform. Any help would be appreciated- I'm new to this.

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
It is not recommended to run that webcam at 1080p as it will incur a great deal of USB saturation and potentially cause audio issues as a result. I've seen it happen over and over, even on "beefy" systems.

Tyler Newton

It is not recommended to run that webcam at 1080p as it will incur a great deal of USB saturation and potentially cause audio issues as a result. I've seen it happen over and over, even on "beefy" systems.
I've heard that USB 2.0 isn't strong enough to handle those resolutions, but I still want to know if there is a solution. I sort of still want the option even though I'd probably never stream higher than 720p. If it helps to know, I've operated this webcam at 1080p perfectly fine with Quicktime over USB 2.0.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
Yea, I have the same webcam. On windows it definitely supports 1080p, not entirely sure what's going on when it's plugged in to the mac. I can't get more than 720p out of it either. I'll have to investigate this at some point (though I can't give a specific time frame)

The real question should be however: "Do you need 1080p for your webcam alone on a Twitch stream?". Will you stream only yourself or will the webcam be a picture-in-picture part of a bigger overlay? Because if that is the case, no one should use 1080p to feed a webcam stream into the computer. Which is just my humble opinion, by the way.

Tyler Newton

The real question should be however: "Do you need 1080p for your webcam alone on a Twitch stream?". Will you stream only yourself or will the webcam be a picture-in-picture part of a bigger overlay? Because if that is the case, no one should use 1080p to feed a webcam stream into the computer. Which is just my humble opinion, by the way.
I definitely wouldn't use 1080p for a picture-in-picture situation, but there's a possibility that I could want a scene with only webcam. Honestly it just bugs me that I'm not able to even have the option... I'll just deal with it for now, since I don't even need 1080p yet.

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
For what its worth, the camera itself only advertises 1080p video in Skype and recording, but 720p live video everywhere else.