Warzone 4K replay buffer encoding lag

SlushyM726

hello hello, I need some help solving an issue with encoding lag.

Previously, this has worked, so no idea why this broken again. I am using replay buffer to clip the last 20 minutes of game footage in COD. I'm using game capture, with the res not downscaled and at 3840x2160 + 144fps. My monitor is 144FPS and the game is capped at 144FPS (previously this was much higher due to my graphics settings being low allowing me to get over 200FPS)

I am using CBR at 50k kbps, 2s keyframe, P3 preset, ultra low latency tuning, single pass mode, high profile, and 2 b frames. Videos output as MKV using NVENC h.264, AAC and no rescaling. Again - these are the settings I have had on that did work! I was able to output videos with no problem at all but I dont know what's changed for it to not work now.

I also don't think this is a problem with my hardware. GPU 4090 RTX, CPU i9 13900K, 64GB DDR5 RAM.

I've read the Encoding Performance Troubleshooting post and have done all suggestions. Interestingly, COD is set to use 6GB of VRAM due to the settings (1st screenshot) but in task manager I can see it using 100% of the GPU...

I also save the replays when not in game, and back in the menus when the FPS is limited to 30 and the GPU isn't doing much, but STILL I am getting encoding lag.

One final thing, I have no issues in multiplayer. Only Warzone...

Any suggestions or any further info you need, please let me know. Thanks!

Attachments

• image_2024-07-23_212825640.png
    image_2024-07-23_212825640.png
    447.4 KB · Views: 25
  • image_2024-07-23_212834583.png
    image_2024-07-23_212834583.png
    20.9 KB · Views: 16

qhobbes

koala

According to https://docs.nvidia.com/video-technologies/video-codec-sdk/12.1/nvenc-application-note/index.html I guess you need to lower your preset in the encoding settings. The fps from Nvidia are for 1920x1080, your 3840x2160 is 4 times the pixel throughput. You need to divide the given numbers from the website by this 4 and still get a number above 144 for the encoder to be able to keep up with your 4k @ 144Hz.
So try preset p1 or p2, your p3 seems slightly over the edge of too much encoder resource requirement.

Last edited:

SlushyM726

Hey thanks for the suggestion. I've tried again today with P1 instead and its better but i'm still losing a lot of frames and the quality of the footage is awful. Anything else I can try?

SlushyM726

In game I've also stopped using Fidelityfx CAS for upscaling and turned this setting off. Still losing a lot or frames to encode lag

qhobbes

1. In Windows, we recommend that "Game Mode" be enabled. Game Mode can be enabled via the Windows "Settings" app, under Gaming > Game Mode.
2. Turn off/disconnect your other monitors and close all other programs besides your game and OBS.
3. Set all the game graphic settings (except resolution) to the lowest possible values.
4. Enable V/G-sync

Your log contains no recording session. Results of this log analysis are limited. Please post a link to a clean log file.
To make a clean log file, please follow these steps:

1) Restart OBS.
2) Start your recording for at least 30 seconds. Make sure you replicate any issues as best you can, which means having any games/apps open and captured, etc.
3) Stop your recording.
4) Select Help > Log Files > Upload Current Log File. Send that link here.