Wanted: New "downsizing" option: Discard

keybounce

So I finally figured out why my sharp text becomes un-sharp in OBS.

I am trying to record/stream a 1024x640 screen, or at least, a portion of it.

Nope.

I have a 2048x1280 screen. I have a program that is only displaying in low-res, so it thinks the screen is 1024x640, and is writing to that. But the pixels are being doubled.

And OBS is being asked to work with a section of that. But because there are more source pixels than OBS will work with, there is rescaling/anti-aliasing going on.

Saying "Use 1024x576 as source and output" doesn't work (ditto for 854x480). All three of the available scaling options do an anti-alias blend.

The result is that sharp lines, that look "black white black", but really are black black white white black black turn into black grey white grey black black; the effect is very clear by putting a 4x zoom window onto the retina screen.

What I'd like to see: A resizing option that is "Discard pixels without blending". The blending in general is going to be bad for sharp edges. It's great for real-world pictures; it's bad for computer-generated stuff. A red flower that has a sharp edge from the green grass does not benefit from the edging becoming a mush; text that is white on black with a dark-grey dropshadow gets really messed-up.

keybounce

Ok, new question: If I change the video settings, are they supposed to change immediately, or only after a restart of OBS?

After restarting, with BiCubic instead of BiLinear, the anti-aliasing on the text is gone. I'm looking at perfectly sharp text on OBS now.