Voice Activation

wipeD

Hello OBS Community and Admins/Dev's,

I have a little problem at the moment.
My mic has some background noises, which may be annoying to users.

So I want to request a feature that e.g. Teamspeak has. Voice Activation
It basicly only activates the Mic when the volume level goes over a set level.

I assume this shouldn't be hard to implement but it is a very nice feature to have.

Thanks for reading.

Bensam123

VOX, been suggested before by myself and others, been acknowledged. Hopefully Jim implements it sooner rather then later. He seems to be spending most of his time wrastling with capture cards and the like right now (unfortunately).

wipeD

Oh I'm sorry. I was searching for something like that wit hthe search tools and even google. Didnt find anything so I created the topic. But yea - it would be great if he adds it to OBS.

Bensam123

Yeah, it's hard to figure out what it's called by googling... but it's called VOX support. Definitely any sort of media program that takes user input should have vox support. Sadly they don't. I use a local TS relay server to get vox support on my stream, which is an option. It makes my voice slightly lagged, but otherwise it doesn't change a whole lot.

Muf

Forum Moderator
Technically VOX is the same as a noise gate, so if you have software, drivers or equipment that implement a noise gate, you can use that to achieve the same effect as VOX. In my case my mic pre-amp has a noise gate built in.

shad0w

I don't have hardware with noise gate, so I hope VAD will be implemented soon.
I like it in Mumble/TS a lot.

Now I can't use OBS cuz I don't like environment sounds on my stream, and PTT not an option for me.(I'm playing ARMA2 with Radio addons where already 3 PTT buttons in use. Fourth one is way over. :)

Sunforest

The next testing build of OBS will have a built-in noise gate so you are no longer limited to hardware support. :)

tHesR5

Next test build!! Hell yes! Can't wait! Now you have me sitting on pins and needles ill be refreshing the forum every 10mon for the next week! Thanks a lot! :P

Bensam123

Nice... You don't need to do this through hardware currently though. Simply setup a local TS server and login to it with two clients, then use VAC to link the output to the mic in OBS. Not elegant, but it's a work around.