Bug Report VLC Video Source freezes after first video

Matt Franklin

Issues arose after updating VLC to 3.0.0 earlier this month.

Windows 10 Pro, version 1709
OBS 21.0.1 x64 (running as Administrator)
VLC 3.0.0 x64

No matter how I configure the source (a playlist of individual files vs. a directory, looping or not, shuffled or not), it only plays one video then seems to freeze before reaching the final frame of the video file. OBS itself continues working just fine, and I can transition out of the scene at will.

The videos I use play just fine as individual Media Source files, and the VLC Video Source worked ok before 3.0.0 came out.

Log file: https://gist.github.com/f6d147c94f0fcf6158e5ade18cd24263
Other than a few DLLs failing to load (which aren't related to VLC as far as I can tell), I don't see any anomalies in the log. Anyone else having this issue? Is there a way to generate a VLC log for the source?

Suslik V

VLCPlayer v3.x.x 64bit not compatible with OBS Studio 64bit (v21.0.1) right now.

Last tested and worked was v2.2.8. (libvlc/libvlccore 2.2.5.1).

Matt Franklin

Thanks for confirming I'm not just unlucky! Keeping my eye on this. Out of curiosity, will an eventual fix come from VLC, or from OBS? I don't know who actually built the VLC Source.

Suslik V

Actually, I'm unable to run OBS Studio with new VLC Player v3.x.x in win7. So, in not an confirmation from me, because conditions are different.

Matt Franklin

How/where do I do that? The files on the VLC legacy FTP evidently don't install, but run as standalone .exes without overwriting the current version installed on my machine. OBS doesn't see them as engines for the VLC media source.

Suslik V

http://download.videolan.org/pub/videolan/vlc/2.2.8/win64/vlc-2.2.8-win64.7z

you may unpack libvlc.dll, libvlccore.dll libraries and its plugins folder from the archive to the folder C:\My programs\VLClibs.
  • My programs
    • VLClibs
      • plugins
      • libvlc.dll
      • libvlccore.dll
Then you need to change Windows registry path (OBS Studio looks for the vlc libs by registry path)
HKLM->Software\VideoLAN\VLC
for
InstallDir variable.

example of the .reg file:
Code:
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VideoLAN\VLC]
"InstallDir"="C:\\My programs\\VLClibs"
for VLC libs unpacked to "C:\My programs\VLClibs" folder)
If you don't need it any more - just change the registry path to original installation folder (or manually reinstall VLC Player) and remove unpacked files.

Edit: When you updating vlc - make sure that right folder updates.