VLC video source freezes after ~6 hours

floracelery

I am using OBS to live stream to Youtube. I have three sources:

-IP camera connected via RTSP, video only no sound
-Browser capture for a little HTML calendar/clock overlay
-VLC video source with video hidden to add background music to the video (using the Lofi Girl Youtube stream as the source)

I am able to successfully stream to Youtube, but have discovered that the audio cuts out after some time. I happened to be watching the stream the other day just as the audio stopped, and it seems like after ~6 hours the VLC video source just seems to freeze. This has happened every time I have started the live stream. When I open OBS, the video source is black and there is no incoming sound (equalizer not moving). The log file really does not shed any light on why this is occurring. At some point today between 12:11pm and 7:12pm, the VLC source just freezes/disconnects:

12:11:25.049: ==== Streaming Start ===============================================
12:11:33.414: adding 21 milliseconds of audio buffering, total audio buffering is now 21 milliseconds (source: Hikvision Cube Cam)
12:11:33.414:
12:33:38.249: adding 85 milliseconds of audio buffering, total audio buffering is now 106 milliseconds (source: Hikvision Cube Cam)
12:33:38.249:
19:12:18.271: ==== Shutting down ==================================================

Full log here: https://pastebin.com/V8b6aDzR

The stream ended at 19:12 because that is when I closed and reopened the app and restarted the stream. Closing/restarting is enough to get the VLC source to work again, until it freezes and stops in another 6 hours. I've increased the network caching from the default 400ms to 5000ms after finding that as a suggestion on the forums, but it did not make a difference. From what I can see there are limited options that I can tweak. I have the latest version of VLC installed.

Considering just making a scheduled task that closes/restarts OBS every 5 hours, but would rather solve this problem than set up a convoluted workaround.

Last edited:

wstv

So no reaction from anyone so far? I have the same issue and this clearly is a Bug since this wasn't the case a few months ago back in 2023. I always had VLC Media Sources with YT-Links in it run for more than 6 hours and they never froze.

Can we please expect a fix for this?