Question / Help Visible mouse pointer with Xcomposite?

KingDD83

I was just curious if it's possible to have the mouse pointer visible while using Xcomposite capture?
Assuming it's not supposed to be there now and my system is just bugged.

Is it something that can be added, or is there some limitation with how Xcomposite works that prevents it?

I don't have a whole lot of programming experience, but I tried taking code form the X Shared Memory plugin to attempt to add it to the Xcomposite capture, but was unsuccessful, Closest I came was having it render the window or having it render a large version of the mouse pointer.

Regardless, thanks for all the work put into this so far.

grenadecx

I noticed I had the very same problem, but I guess it will be added at some point.

Really love the work you guys done so far :)

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
Yep, known issue. If someone else doesn't add it I'll probably end up adding it myself

FloFri

I think i got it working by using the xcursor-code of the xshm-module.

But there is one major bug (also in xshm): the cursor always uses the original coordinates of the source. so if the source gets resized, the background and the cursor get out of sync, because the cursor does not recognize the resize.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
The two modules need to be combined so that they can share the cursor code. If you make a pull request we can review it and perhaps help you fix it.

leonhard

Developer
But there is one major bug (also in xshm): the cursor always uses the original coordinates of the source. so if the source gets resized, the background and the cursor get out of sync, because the cursor does not recognize the resize.

The cursor should now behave correctly in the xshm plugin when the source is transformed, though it can still move "out" of the captured area.
See https://obsproject.com/mantis/view.php?id=42 and https://github.com/jp9000/obs-studio/issues/239#event-154711886 for reference.