Virtual Camera output?

ningxiaoxiao

hi
xsplit have virtual camera output.it's very very useful to me!
There are ways to achieve it?
if you have a idea,please tell me. my email:732869825@qq.com
thank you very much!

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
It has been requested many times. Jim has stated that he himself doesn't want to write it, but if someone else wants to add it that would be great.

ningxiaoxiao

dodgepong said:
It has been requested many times. Jim has stated that he himself doesn't want to write it, but if someone else wants to add it that would be great.
thank you.i guess nobody want to add it~ so heartbreak

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
It might get added eventually, I just despise working with directshow. Absolutely despise it. If it's not too horrible I -will- eventually get around to it at some point.

maxfaction

With all those plugins raising OBS to crazy heights of functionality, the lack of a virtual camera keeps OBS just a notch below Xsplit :-/ Yes, I really want this feature :-)

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
With the rewrite we can do it now, but the only matter is time, which is a precious resource at the moment. I have a *lot* of things on the agenda. I really wish I had more people helping out to be honest, but I'll take what I can get.

Andras Fuchs

After looking into the problem, I have a suggestion: the quickest way to accomplish this function would be to create a DirectShow Capture Source Filter (acting like a webcam) which is also an RTMP server. This way OBS could easily be configured to send the video and audio streams to this local RTMP server URI, and they would be rendered in our webcam module.

To accomplish this we would need 3 things:
  • a DirectShow Capture Source Filter (Roger has written one in Screen-Capture-Recorder and there is another one done by Vivek) listening on a specified local URI
  • a DirectShow RTMP splitter (LAVFilters has it since v0.64 2015-02-13)
  • a rendering engine which is able to render x264 video, MP3 and AAC audio (DirectShow does that for us, I think)
  • DirectShow Filter configuration screen to set up the local listening URI
This whole thing can be done without touching OBS source code, and this module could be installed as a separate option for Windows users.

What do you think?

Last edited:

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
Outputting to RTMP and then using the content from the RTMP server incurs a natural delay that won't be suitable for most users expecting DirectShow output from OBS to be pretty much exactly in sync with the OBS preview window. It does not strike me as a great solution. You're free to try it, though. The ideal solution would be for OBS to provide a DirectShow source from the rendered OBS output.

NiceAttitude

My thread was closed a while back for mentioning this as it was apparently redundant and unnecessary given Jim's current stance on the matter. I still would love to see this feature and I believe it is important to let OBS know what people would like. So even though this isnt high on the list of things to add, I sincerely hope it is still being considered! It would save me a lot of money from buying an xsplit/manycam license. :):):)

Innomen

For what it's worth this feature is a deal breaker for me. Upon finding I couldn't accomplish my goal in the app because of this feature missing I never opened it again.

I subscribed to this thread on the off chance someone at some point in the future notes that the feature is included now.

I'm simply sharing my opinion and situation.

I have a memory impression of sharing my opinion somewhere that this feature would make the app wildly useful as an educational tool, but I guess I either didn't actually send it or it was in another thread.

TLDR: +1 for this feature.

LinuxCammer

I'd like to add my voice as a potential OBS user who badly needs this feature.
I'd like to move from a similar but less powerful software called Webcam Studio for Linux. I've been messing around with OBS for a month or so and I'm truly impressed with this project, but without the ability to output the stream to a virtual v4l2 device I'm stopped dead in my tracks. :(

masterneme

My thread was closed a while back for mentioning this as it was apparently redundant and unnecessary given Jim's current stance on the matter. I still would love to see this feature and I believe it is important to let OBS know what people would like. So even though this isnt high on the list of things to add, I sincerely hope it is still being considered! It would save me a lot of money from buying an xsplit/manycam license. :):):)

These are my thoughts exactly.

fseesink

+10 for virtual web cam feature

I created a forum account just so I could add my voice to this mix.

I was searching for OS X alternatives to things like
  • BoinxTV (now mimoLive), a commercial program that does NOT have virtual webcam support
  • CamTwist Studio, a free download w/ virtual webcam support but it hasn't had an update to its beta in > 6 mo.
  • PixelConduit, another free download, but it requires buying a plugin package to get the virtual webcam (either the full package or something called Video Link, which appears to specifically be virtual webcam support)
OBS looks like a nice project. The ONE feature it lacks is this virtual webcam ability. Would be a great differentiator. And seems I'm not alone in wanting to be able to manipulate video and feed that into another program that can take video input.

Sadly, I don't think it's as simple as I had hoped. I THOUGHT that if programs like this didn't have native support, possibly someone would make the "shim" that let all programs export to a single output standard that in turn acts as a virtual webcam. But looks like there's no standard for that.

Best I can guess this isn't trivial. Since OBS runs on 3 different OSes it likely would require 3 different approaches. But for what it's worth, it's a feature that would be most welcome.