Virtual camera on MX Linux

johnlongland

Good day all

I found two threads on the forum about the virtual camera and mention is made of distros like debian and Ubuntu and Mint, but I don't see any reference to Mx Linux.

Background
I have always used OBS on Windows but I have now had enough of Windows 11 ... bloated and buggy. So I have started looking at replacing it with a Linux. I started by booting MX Linux from a thumb-drive and just testing it before I actually install a linux. So I installed OBS via two methods ... flatpak and ppa.
The latter, after reading in post on this forum , that using ppa will make the virtual camera available.

So the situation is : OBS running ..... seem to record fine but virtual camera not available.

So my question would be :
As I am avaluating which Linux to use, I now have a chance to decide on which linux to use. MX Linux seems very efficient in general. Should I stay
with MX ... or consider another distro.

Also, some of the other posts that I read, dates back to 2020 with people having issues with Virutal camera on Linux distros. Is there any plans to have the virtual camera available with a standard install?

Thank you

Tuna

The Flatpak has the virtual camera support. To make it work you will need the v4l2loopback kernel module on your Linux too. Since I have no idea about MX Linux you need to check there onhow to install it. When correctly installed the option should start showing up in OBS.

johnlongland

Thank you for your message @Tuna

Let me revert back to the flatpak installation method. I did that first and then did the ppa after I read in another thread that this should make virutal cam available. But I did not have the V4l2loop module. Couldn't find some info on that module for MX linux as well.

I shall revert back to flatpak. I shall persevere because I am really fedup with Win 11 !! :-)

Thank you for taking the time. Appreciate.

Tuna

The PPA should be fine too. Just that kernel module is required - make sure it is properly compiled and loadable for your current kernel.

AaronD

As I am avaluating which Linux to use, I now have a chance to decide on which linux to use. MX Linux seems very efficient in general. Should I stay
with MX ... or consider another distro.
Of course, everyone is going to recommend the one that they use personally. Mine is Ubuntu Studio:

It comes with an outdated version of OBS preinstalled, but adding the PPA and updating fixes that. THEN, you can add your favorite plugins. The outdated version that it comes with uses the old version of Qt, so updating from there breaks all of them. So update it first, and *then* add the rest.

It also comes with a TON of other creative programs, for graphics, sound, etc., but I still installed my favorites anyway.