[Video Tutorial] OBS Explained

Joe33345

Hi, I made a tutorial video for OBS that I thought would help out somebody somewhere. So I decided to post it here... lol.

http://youtu.be/ZXSB0S9p8HQ

It'll be live in like 15 mins after this post. It's around 20 mins long. I range from Beginners Levels to Expert Levels. Certain things people can set to help their cast in quality and my definitions on how the preset works and what you should set for your cast :-)

Hope it helps :D

Joe Delaney

XeiZ

Just to clarify: Send Buffer is disabled on default for a reason, first and foremost: It doesnt do anything, its not in the code anymore. Before this it caused alot of issues and in the test version its already gone from the menu.

Also CBR = Constant Bitrate, basically the exact opposite from what you said.

Xaraa

I'm sorry but this guide is really bad, e.g you said anyone with 1.50mb upload speed can only do a 360p stream, like what the hell are you talking about. Plus the CDR thing above me along with you saying MP3 is somehow better than AAC. Dam what did I watch.

Joe33345

anyone with a 1.50MB, IN MY OPINION, shouldn't do anything above 640x360p unless they want to lose quality, IN MY OPINION. Anybody is free to do whatever resolution they please. As I stated in the video, CBR reacts while you're using it by setting a bitrate but constantly jumping up and down depending on your movements in a game. At one point your bitrate can be 1000, like you set it, on a still picture. Then as soon as you move fast the bitrate skyrockets. This would be bad for somebody with a low upload speed because it can create problems with online gaming. That's why I suggested against it. File outputting it can provide the better quality, yes, but online gaming with limited connections. IN MY OPINION it causes nothing but more problems. At least that's how it reacts on Flash Media Encoder and XSplit. I still recommend MP3 over AAC because my experience with AAC. if you set AAC to 128kb/s and MP3 to the same, MP3 sounds better. As I said when I made this post. This was all my opinion. Whether I be right or wrong... I'm just trying to help people. :-)

Joe Delaney

EDIT: 640x360p @30fps looks great at 1000 bitrate on Medium Preset. If you want to play online as well while you're playing your game then somebody with a 1.50MB upload I would recommend 1000 bitrate because you need that 500KB left over for your online game :-P

XeiZ

Its widely know that AAC requires alot less bandwidth to get the same quality as mp3 but its not that important...
As i already stated your idea of CBR is completely wrong. VBR, what OBS and Xsplit are using is exactly what you are discribing, a VARIABLE bitrate, you set it to 1000 but it will drop lower or spike higher when needed.
CBR on the otherhand is a CONSTANT bitrate, you set it to 1000 and it wont change. This comes at the cost of slightly worse video quality because it cant choose the appropriate bitrate for some scenes.

Joe33345

in my experience it's been totally the opposite. but this was back when I used to have 15/.768KB upload so you're probably right then. I've always had my bitrate spiking like mad for CBR :-(