Video suddenly freezes in preview and stream ends, with OBS crashing if I try to interact with the preview at all. No crash log produced.

Clefairy

Hello! I've been successfully streaming with OBS for some time now up until a few days ago, but when I tried making local recordings the other night, and then another attempt at streaming today, I keep encountering this same weird issue I've never had before.

At some point after I start recording/streaming, ranging from as long as 25 minutes to as short as 30 seconds, the video preview in OBS will completely freeze up. At this point the stream/recording seems to be completely unsalvageable, with the following effects:

1. The stream/recording no longer continues after this point, even though it looks like it is through OBS.
2. Everything outside of the video preview appears to be functional, but doing anything that would affect the video preview (such as disabling a video layer) does not affect it whatsoever.
3. Attempting to interact with the video preview, like right-clicking on it, will cause OBS to crash.

I believe this has only happened since the recent update that makes the audio bars big. Incidentally, I always got a "Whoops, OBS has crashed!" just from closing out of OBS normally even prior to the update, which I guess produced a crash log, but now when it's actually crashing, I don't get anything. I've included the most recent crash log in case it offers any insight, but again, I think it predates this particular issue.

Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• Crash 2024-07-19 00-40-23.txt
    92.9 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

PaiSand

Please update to OBS 30.2.2 and test it.
Also a log file from the moment the crash happened is useful.

Crashes on close are typically caused by plugins. Update or remove them.
Frizzes are also caused by third party plugins or apps outside OBS.

Clefairy

Hi, I am on 30.2.2. After I updated last night, I had a successful stream around two hours and thought I fixed it, but tonight I'm facing the same issue again.

My most recent crash log is still from July 19th, the one provided above. It doesn't seem like OBS has been producing crash logs since this issue began.

I think the only plugin I have is Source Record which I've been using for months, at least. I'll see what happens if I remove it.

PaiSand

Well, the plugin is compatible with OBS 30.2.* or needs to be updated like many others?
If you really need it, downgrade OBS to the version where it worked correctly and wait until an update is available for the the plugin to update OBS.

Clefairy

Yeah, I tried installing the latest version of Source Record now and that didn't fix it. Since it's important to me, I'll try to downgrade; I looked into that a bit last night but couldn't figure it out. Thank you.

Clefairy

UPDATE: I tried reverting the installation and it didn't work, so I removed the plugin... and it also continues to happen still. Well, now I'm out of ideas. It was only a few days ago I was streaming fine, and nothing's changed since then aside from these attempts to fix the issue.

I'm continuing to not get any crash logs either, so the one in my original post is still the most recent if it provides any useful information at all...

Clefairy

While working with it today attempting to fix it, I managed to get a crash log once. I hope this helps.

Attachments

• Crash 2024-07-26 15-15-15.txt
    140.6 KB · Views: 10

PaiSand

That crash is associated with an outdated plugin not compatible with OBS 30.2.*
Remove it, updated if it already have a compatibility update or downgrade OBS to a version where this plugin do work.

No, I have no idea which plugin could be causing this. You have to check them all.
On a log file you can see which plugins you have installed and the analyzer can list them.