Bug Report Video Stutter Every 7 Seconds

Jaarka

Loving the program, the only issue I'm having so far is a slight video stutter every 7 seconds or so during my stream. It is very minor, and doesn't really bother anyone, but I still thought I would mention it in case anyone else has issues.

If you watch the video playback from my stream here (http://www.twitch.tv/jaarka/b/336565435) you will see after about the 4 minute mark when I get into game that the sound stays consistent, but the picture has a slight freeze every seven seconds or so. It's very strange.

I had 0 dropped frames. The only other thing I noticed was that the FPS counter would sometimes dip a little. I'm not sure if that coincided with the freeze or not. It shows a solid 30 FPS for a good while and then it'll suddenly dip to 20 for one second and then go right back to 30. The dip number isn't always the same, sometimes it is 20, sometimes 29, etc etc.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
Post a log, if you would please. Also, tell me how you are doing your capture, if possible.

Jaarka

Here is the log for you:

Open Broadcaster Software v0.421a - 64bit ( ^ω^)
-------------------------------
CPU Name: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 965 Processor
CPU Speed: 3415MHz
Physical Memory: 8190MB Total, 6055MB Free
stepping id: 3, model 4, family 15, type 0, extmodel 8, extfamily 0
------------------------------------------
Adapter 1
Video Adapter: ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series
Video Adapeter Dedicated Video Memory: 1059729408
Video Adapeter Shared System Memory: 4025741312
=====Stream Start=====================================================================
Base resolution: 1280x720
Output resolution: 1280x720
Loading up D3D10...
Using auxilary audio input: Microphone (2- C-Media USB Headphone Set )
Audio Encoding: AAC
bitrate: 96
Video Encoding: x264
fps: 30
width: 1280, height: 720
quality: 8
preset: superfast
i444: no
max bitrate: 2500
buffer size: 2000
Total frames rendered: 16, number of frames that lagged: 0 (0.00%) (it's okay for some frames to lag)
=====Stream End=======================================================================
=====Stream Start=====================================================================
Loading up D3D10...
Total frames rendered: 85, number of frames that lagged: 8 (9.41%) (it's okay for some frames to lag)
=====Stream End=======================================================================
Loading up D3D10...
Total frames rendered: 228, number of frames that lagged: 29 (12.72%) (it's okay for some frames to lag)
Loading up D3D10...
Total frames rendered: 172785, number of frames that lagged: 9860 (5.71%) (it's okay for some frames to lag)
Number of b-frames dropped: 0, Number of p-frames dropped: 0

Profiler results:

==============================================================
frame - [100%] [avg time: 27.433 ms] [avg calls per frame: 1] [children: 99.5%] [unaccounted: 0.452%]
| scene->Preprocess - [69.8%] [avg time: 19.161 ms] [avg calls per frame: 1]
| video encoding and uploading - [29.7%] [avg time: 8.148 ms] [avg calls per frame: 1] [children: 13.8%] [unaccounted: 15.9%]
| | CopyResource - [0.00729%] [avg time: 0.002 ms] [avg calls per frame: 0]
| | conversion to 4:2:0 - [7.68%] [avg time: 2.107 ms] [avg calls per frame: 0]
| | call to encoder - [6.16%] [avg time: 1.69 ms] [avg calls per frame: 0]
==============================================================

Memory Leaks Were Detected.

I was capturing using the Software Capture Source > Window Capture > Dishonored (Inner Window)

However, I have tested this in a few games capturing just the Monitor or the Window, and it seems to happen no matter what.

Tony32

My friend have the exact same issue, he is running win7 64bit, 64bit of your software. He got 8,5mbit upload speed and he's streaming at 1,5kbitrate so it shouldnt be a problem. Everything runs smooth when not moving much in-game, but when he runs/moves it freezes like every 5-7 seconds. Aldoh, the sound never stops. Very weird indeed.

he got a good computer so it shouldnt be it.

EDIT: I am sitting on the same connection and streaming at 3500bitrate and it works flawless, maybe he just needs to change twitch server. WIll report when I know the results.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
hm, I honestly can't say for sure what would be going on at the moment -- try experimenting with the settings and see if anything changes, let me know what results you get if you find anything that changes it

rays

I'm also getting this issue, except in a more severe case. It's been happening for about a week.

As you'll see in the vod below, my stream is perfectly fine.. Until I start moving. Then I freeze constantly. According to the status bar on obs, my bitrate will drop well below the max and hover there (~300-600kbps), while giving me a streaming rate waaay under what I set the max to be (30). From there, the issue will either persist until I restart my stream, or the stream itself will die, and I'll lose connection to twitch and have to restart my stream. This scares away viewers, so I'd like to prevent it if possible. :<

Here's the vod for reference:

http://www.twitch.tv/raysfire/b/337735899

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
hm, does this only happen with a newer version, or with all versions?

Jaarka

Downloaded the new alpha build today, and the stutter seems to be gone. Not sure what the problem was, but it is apparently fixed on my end.

rays

Jim said:
hm, does this only happen with a newer version, or with all versions?

I downgraded to the first version I used (0.411a), and still got similar results.

TanGeng

Jaarka said:
Downloaded the new alpha build today, and the stutter seems to be gone. Not sure what the problem was, but it is apparently fixed on my end.

JIm added some threading code between builds. Any number of things could be happening.
As for the audio, Audio has its own thread and the video codec embeds multiple frames of audio if necessary to make sure audio doesn't stutter.
Audio stutters are far worse than video stutters.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
Seriously? That was the problem? Hmm. Very weird. Thank you very much for reporting back to me on that.

Fred_

I wouldn't be surprised. Switching twitch server often yields better results than changing x264 settings! xD