Question / Help Video recorded stutters about 10 sec. at every 10-15 minutes [SOLVED]

DorinDXN

Hi all.

First I want to thank you for the work you put in OBS, appreciated very much!
OBS it works acceptably fine, I'm only trying to have it perfectly working :o)

The title say it all.
I'm recording a game play, the bet result I had is using a video capture AVerMedia Live Gamer HD Lite
the other methods has much dense stuttering, i.e. seconds apart instead of minutes

I attached a log file, I guess the right one :o)
and here is a video you can see that stuttering starting around minute 09:30 on
https://youtu.be/0rm_2qLM3Tw?t=551
If is need, I can upload the entire (5.4 GB) or a particular cut/selection from the above video right as it came out from OBS

some useful notes
1) the results seems to be the same, more or less, with OBS 32/64 both classic and MP except with MP I'm unable to capture using game capture
2) the game experience is perfectly smooth except some areas where the GPU load hits 99% you can set the GPU load in right top corner of the video, however, the stuttering seems to not depend on GPU load at all.
3) seems that it not depend on the game either, I recorded a screensaver and had the same issue
4) recorded on HDD, SSD, RAMDisk with no change
5) I'm using a Windows 7 machine with all "unnecessary" services disabled or on manual, no AV, lan adapter disabled, so on.. nothing, I think, that could produce some disturbing at 10 minutes interval or so..

The tweaks could be far from complete so I'm open to suggestions if I should investigate or consider some tweaks for Win 7.

thanks for reading,
Dorin

Attachments

• 2015-11-12 23-30-05.txt
    15.3 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:

dping

Hi all.

First I want to thank you for the work you put in OBS, appreciated very much!
OBS it works acceptably fine, I'm only trying to have it perfectly working :o)

The title say it all.
I'm recording a game play, the bet result I had is using a video capture AVerMedia Live Gamer HD Lite
the other methods has much dense stuttering, i.e. seconds apart instead of minutes

I attached a log file, I guess the right one :o)
and here is a video you can see that stuttering starting around minute 09:30 on
https://youtu.be/0rm_2qLM3Tw?t=551
If is need, I can upload the entire (5.4 GB) or a particular cut/selection from the above video right as it came out from OBS

some useful notes
1) the results seems to be the same, more or less, with OBS 32/64 both classic and MP except with MP I'm unable to capture using game capture
2) the game experience is perfectly smooth except some areas where the GPU load hits 99% you can set the GPU load in right top corner of the video, however, the stuttering seems to not depend on GPU load at all.
3) seems that it not depend on the game either, I recorded a screensaver and had the same issue
4) recorded on HDD, SSD, RAMDisk with no change
5) I'm using a Windows 7 machine with all "unnecessary" services disabled or on manual, no AV, lan adapter disabled, so on.. nothing, I think, that could produce some disturbing at 10 minutes interval or so..

The tweaks could be far from complete so I'm open to suggestions if I should investigate or consider some tweaks for Win 7.

thanks for reading,
Dorin
you need to run OBS with aero enabled in windows 7. Lastly, dont have a monitor capture and a game capture in the same scene, In fact, dont use monitor capture in windows 7 at all. 10 (sometimes 8.1) is the only OS that can do monitor capture easily.

DorinDXN

Thanks for replay.

To be sure I understand right, enabling aero in Win 7 may remove that stuttering in the captured video?
OBS is using AVerMedia Live Gamer HD Lite as Video Capture Device

The other ways doesn't work, except if I use classic OBS when the game capture work.
I didn't want to use monitor capture. but I'll test that too in classic OBS.

cheers,
Dorin

DorinDXN

It seems that enabling aero didn't help for both
OBS MP using AVerMedia Live Gamer HD Lite as Video Capture Device
same 10 sec. stuttering at 10-15 minutes apart
and
OBS Game Capture mode
same stuttering couple of seconds apart.

Any other suggestions?

cheers,
Dorin

dping

It seems that enabling aero didn't help for both
OBS MP using AVerMedia Live Gamer HD Lite as Video Capture Device
same 10 sec. stuttering at 10-15 minutes apart
and
OBS Game Capture mode
same stuttering couple of seconds apart.

Any other suggestions?

cheers,
Dorin
do you have a new log? as for aero, it needs to be unchecked in OBS but also use an windows enabled aero theme.

DorinDXN

Yes, these are the logs are from the the latest tests.
I tested with RivaTuner Statistics uninstalled and were no changes in better.

Thank you for help!

cheers,
Dorin

Attachments

• 2015-11-13-2210-17.log
    7.9 KB · Views: 32
  • 2015-11-13 22-09-35.txt
    12.2 KB · Views: 25

DorinDXN

Considering the first video and log I posted, is that period of 10 second with stuttering reflected in log?
As I said before, the video is perfectly ok for 10-15 minutes then 10 seconds of stuttering then again ok for another 10-15 minutes.
Maybe some extended log or debug mode can be enabled to understand what happens there?
I already disabled any power management or usb power management.
Must be some OBS related buffer or smth..

cheers,
Dorin

Last edited:

sam686

Ignoring the youtube's video of camera sometimes shaking up and down...

The log file says OBS is recording at 30 FPS. On Youtube video, top left corner, the game is running at 30 FPS. The game's frame rate and OBS capture frame rate doesn't exactly match.This causes the game capture to frame skip and then frame duplicate repeatedly for a short period of time, every few minutes.

This sort of timing problem is fixed for video capture in OBS-MP with buffering, what about game capture?

Mostly as a feature request, maybe buffering a frame can be done to avoid a frame skip when both the game and OBS runs at nearly the same frame rate. Also, an option to sync game's frame rate to OBS frame rate may allow an even smoother record/stream, by making the graphics hook pause right after the real present/flip (low lag gaming) until OBS have read a new frame which will for sure prevent game's frame from skipping.

DorinDXN

With game capture, the stuttering is more dense, the stutters, while are only about few frames, are at seconds to half minute apart instead of minutes.
This was recorded with OBS original Game Capture mode
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEKZwNouZrQ

The game capture doesn't work in MP on my machine, not know why..
I will try to capture with OBS original in Game Capture but with 60 FPS instead.

About buffering, don't know about OBS but I can try messing around with pre-rendered frames and triple buffering in NV CP.
in OBS, at AVM c985 settings, there is a buffering but enabled or disabled seems to not change anything in this issue.

thank you so much for help!
cheers,
Dorin

dping

With game capture, the stuttering is more dense, the stutters, while are only about few frames, are at seconds to half minute apart instead of minutes.
This was recorded with OBS original Game Capture mode
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEKZwNouZrQ

I will try to capture with OBS original in Game Capture but with 60 FPS instead.

About buffering, don't know about OBS but I can try messing around with pre-rendered frames and triple buffering in NV CP.
in OBS, at AVM c985 settings, there is a buffering but enabled or disabled seems to not change anything in this issue.

thank you so much for help!
cheers,
Dorin
Note that do not cap your fps in game, OBS will grab the frames needed for 30fps gameplay to be encoded. caping the frames means that when OBS is ready to capture 1 of 30 of those frames, the game might not be ready to give out that frame causing studdering

DorinDXN

Thanks for reply.

It is a long story but to make it short, after around 1.5 yrs using Nvidia's Shadowplay with no success I had this idea to have the game play perfectly smooth and to capture the output with AVM C985.
So the game play is perfectly smooth now (except some areas with 99% GPU load) and I'm trying to capture that with AVM C985 and OBS. because seems that combo gave the best result for 10-15 minutes then 10 sec of stuttering then again OK for minutes.

I don't think is related with game's FPS although some ways of frame buffering worth to be investigate.
As a test I recorded a screensaver, not FPS caped at all,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36S98JNRwAo
you can see the stuttering I'm fighting with at the minute 17

cheers,
Dorin

dping

Thanks for reply.

It is a long story but to make it short, after around 1.5 yrs using Nvidia's Shadowplay with no success I had this idea to have the game play perfectly smooth and to capture the output with AVM C985.
So the game play is perfectly smooth now (except some areas with 99% GPU load) and I'm trying to capture that with AVM C985 and OBS. because seems that combo gave the best result for 10-15 minutes then 10 sec of stuttering then again OK for minutes.

I don't think is related with game's FPS although some ways of frame buffering worth to be investigate.
As a test I recorded a screensaver, not FPS caped at all,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36S98JNRwAo
you can see the stuttering I'm fighting with at the minute 17

cheers,
Dorin
Wait, you are using a capture card? do you have a two PC setup? or we talking recording consoles?

Anyway, I noticed that when you run game capture, a conflicting hook is showing up and pointing to rivatuner. Would you be able to close or uninstall ruvatuner as this could cause issues? uninstall would be the best while you find out what is going on.

DorinDXN

Thanks for reply.
Yes, as I stated in the first post but my English is not that good, sorry for that :(

---8<----------
---8<----------

I also posted that I tried without rivatuner with no changes in better, I believe OBS's job is to get what AVM C985 feed to it and compress/write on disk so on.., the hook might be not used, but I don't know much about how OBS works :)

Is a single PC setup
I can try to, say, run the screensaver on other PC and record via a hdmi between to see if there is better..
The other methods, game capture, window capture +/- aero, monitor capture +/-aero gives worst results or not working at all, tried in OBS original and MP 32 and 64 bit as well.

cheers,
Dorin

dping

Thanks for reply.
Yes, as I stated in the first post but my English is not that good, sorry for that :(

---8<----------
---8<----------

I also posted that I tried without rivatuner with no changes in better, I believe OBS's job is to get what AVM C985 feed to it and compress/write on disk so on.., the hook might be not used, but I don't know much about how OBS works :)

Is a single PC setup
I can try to, say, run the screensaver on other PC and record via a hdmi between to see if there is better..
The other methods, game capture, window capture +/- aero, monitor capture +/-aero gives worst results or not working at all, tried in OBS original and MP 32 and 64 bit as well.

cheers,
Dorin
you dont use capture cards in single pc setups. that defeats the purpose of a capture card. Capture cards are from using a stream PC (where the encoding is done) and a gaming PC (self explanatory). the capture PC gives the video feed to the streaming PC where the capture card is at.

and even though you might have "uninstalled" rivatuner, it is still running in startup. it is located at
c:\Program Files (x86)\RivaTuner Statistics Server\

DorinDXN

I tried the other methods not involving capture card and there was stuttering more dense but very small indeed, the overall result was worst.

I didn't posted the log with rivatuner uninstalled (I also deleted the folders) so I'm sure not traces of rivatuner were left.

The mystery is what happens at minute 17 in the above recording of the screensaver or in game, what produces that stuttering, said above, I recorded on HDD, SSD, RAMdisk still the same..

cheers,
Dorin

dping

I tried the other methods not involving capture card and there was stuttering more dense but very small indeed, the overall result was worst.

I didn't posted the log with rivatuner uninstalled (I also deleted the folders) so I'm sure not traces of rivatuner were left.

The mystery is what happens at minute 17 in the above recording of the screensaver or in game, what produces that stuttering, said above, I recorded on HDD, SSD, RAMdisk still the same..

cheers,
Dorin
Please post the logfile that goes along with that recording like this:
giphy.gif

DorinDXN

It could be the first one without rivatuner,

The second one is from screensaver recording

Attachments

• 2015-11-15 17-14-38.txt
    14.4 KB · Views: 30
  • 2015-11-16 13-51-22.txt
    14.3 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

dping

It could be the first one without rivatuner,

The second one is from screensaver recording
How many PCs are you using?

I just want to be clear, if the answer is just one PC, remove the capture card from your PC and uninstall the game capture software. If the answer two then keep it in.

Either way, Enable aero and keep it enabled. close the RECentral software on the stream PC and only have OBS open.

Lets start there.

sam686

Will game capture work if you run OBS-MP as administrator?

If you are using capture card in OBS-MP, is the buffering set to "Enable"? For me this stops the stuttering from my PS3/PS4 capture.

DorinDXN

Thank you both for replies.
@dping
I'm using a single PC dual monitor one is pass-through AVM
Before I purchase the AVM C985 card I read here and I made test records with OBS only and no capture card an no AVM software at all.
Was a significant improvement over the NV Shadowplay, but because was stuttering I bought AVM C985 and now is better except from those 10 seconds 10-15 minutes apart.
@sam686
Tried running MP as admin, with no change, the video adapter drop-down list selector is grayed and empty in MP despite the log having references to NV GTX 750
In the original OBS the video adapter NV GTX 750 is present in settings and maybe that's why only in the original OBS works the Game Capture.
About buffering, you post make me think if I only tested with it on
Auto vs Disabled I'll try again with Enable just to be sure.

I have experience in haunting software bugs, mostly mine :) , I started coding on Z80 machines decades ago,
IMO
15 min. ok > 10 sec. stuttering > 10 min. ok > 10 sec. stuttering > 20 min. ok > so on..
doesn't look like FPS mismatch or compatibility issue, nor overheating, throttling.. maybe.. but I disabled anything I can think of, I even under clock-ed video card. the PC is not OC-ed
the GTX 750 is OC from factory that could explain Shadowplay performances, but again I under clocked the GTX just to be sure.

Any settings I made and was no change I revert it back to the safest one, i.e. tested if under clocking helps, it didn't so I reverted back

My guess is about some buffer, I have the page file disabled (tested with enabled and was the same)
The Win 7 Experience Index at RAM is 7.8 also I disabled the RAMDisk to made more RAM available to the OBS 64 but no changes so I guess is not caused by VM fragmentation or such
I have no latency spikes at all.

Could be some syncing audio-video perhaps but having force desktop audio checked in OBS doesn't seems to help.

Sure, there are other things to test like to get audio via audio-in instead of hdmi or system audio, no audio at all, so on.. but those will take time, because is no rule when the stuttering is, so I have to record then watch so on..

Mybe it will help if I can look t it from the single x264 perspective or such

What can cause that stuttering at minute 17 of that screensaver recording,
Is OBS doubling frames? should be that in log?
I guess the AVM card is not doubling because recording with Recentral doesn't produce that bounch of stuttering 10-15 minutes apart.

Sorry for the long post.

recorded with recentral
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeheKr7_lgg

recorded before to have AVM card, OBS original, Game Capture
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQxVI6CDv98
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5R9E6aagjoQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LX33Ml6GO7I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ix1UHWB4wmc

cheers,
Dorin

Last edited: