[video] OBS causes video card, then computer to crash

Jolanxbl

If I don't start OBS before starting other projects, it will (often) take down the entire computer. Video drivers are up to date.
And before anyone says it, Chrome is only using 1.5g of memory, so it's not because of the tabs. This can happen running Premiere Pro, and even Microsoft Teams during class. I assume this is the right log file:

Unlisted video of it crashing, taken with a phone:

I also mention how OBS often doesn't close, and how having it read a webcam is a bugger.

koala

This kind of error points to some kind of hardware issue, if your drivers are all up to date. Your GPU might be defective, or your mainboard, or some incompatibility between GPU and mainboard.
You have a huge amount of audio device errors - check your audio drivers as well if they are up to date, and make sure you don't reference devices that don't exist any more.
The same with media files that are not found. There are some in your log. Remove removed files from your sources, because OBS will continuously try to access them, over and over again.
You try to access some T: drive which isn't present. If this is on a USB stick you don't always connect, move scenes and sources you use in connection with that stick to its own scene collection and use this collection only if the stick is plugged in.

Jolanxbl

The file may not be present but the drive is always plugged in. I'll check the audio drivers, and re create scenes for specific uses. Thumbs-up

Jolanxbl

*Update*
I removed all the scenes and updated OBS to 27.2.4. Audio drivers are up to date, and I updated the video. It was running good until just now, where it not only crashed the video card, but MS Teams hung up the call. What does the log say this time? OBS shows Desktop and Mic/Aux are turned on, and Mic/Aux 2 is off.

Attachments

• 2022-05-12 14-18-09.txt
    16.4 KB · Views: 57
  • 0512.jpg
    0512.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:

Jolanxbl

Crashed again. This time Teams and Chrome were not running. Firefox, Steam and "Fights in Tight Spaces" were open.

Attachments

• 2022-05-13 21-10-27.txt
    17.1 KB · Views: 43

PaiSand

You need to fix some issues:

Also, a crash report is needed.

Jolanxbl

The most recent crash report is February 5th. OBS doesn't crash, it crashes the video card and some programs lose connection to the internet.

Jolanxbl

Analyser did not offer any useful information. From the Analyser:
1. If you record to MP4 or MOV and the recording is interrupted..
I have not experienced any issues with saving the file.
2. The OpenGL renderer should not be used on Windows, as it is not well optimized and can have visual artifacting.
I wasn't recording at the time.
3. To ensure that OBS Studio has the hardware resources it needs for realtime streaming and recording..
I wasn't recording at the time.
4. Framerates other than 30fps or 60fps may lead to playback issues..
I have not experienced any issues with video playback. and WHY ARE THERE OTHER RATES THEN?
5. You are running Windows 10 21H2, which will be supported by Microsoft until June 2023.
That is next year.
6. OBS is not running as Administrator. This can lead to OBS not being able to Game Capture certain games.
It wasn't capturing anything when it started, which is the only time it screws the video.
7. A slower x264 preset than 'veryfast' is in use. It is recommended to leave this value on veryfast, as there are significant diminishing returns to setting it lower.
Do 'diminishing returns' include crashing my video driver? Again, why are there other choices if this is so important?
8. Your GPU is maxed out and OBS can't render scenes fast enough.
It's an 8gb gpu. Does OBS require 16bg now??

PaiSand

Look, your issue is something happening just to you and probably no one else.
Follow recommendations of the analyser or don't, it's up to you to try to fix the issue. 99% of the time the crash on the video driver it's a faulty driver and could be result of a bad instalation or Windows messing it.

Like I said before, it's up to you to try to troubleshoot the issue.
And remove all the pulgins you have installed. Start OBS clean and work from there on.

koala

You updated the video driver, so it's a hardware issue with your GPU. It's probably defective, or has insufficient power supply. No software configuration will change this issue. The hardware has to be fixed.

Jolanxbl

"Follow recommendations of the analyser or don't, it's up to you to try to fix the issue."
None of the suggestions it made have to do with my issue. The driver crashes on Start-Up. Not while recording. Not while saving. Not during playback. So your attitude is not necessary, or welcomed.

If there are plugins, I didn't put them there, or know where they are.

If the card is defective, then why is OBS the ~ONLY~ software that causes the crash?
I can run Chrome with 60+ tabs, UnrealEditor or Maya, Teams with camera, Photoshop, Creative Cloud launcher, EpicGamesLauncher, Kasperski, GoG, Steam and Firefox, and yet starting OBS at that point causes the video to fail. When it's the only software that causes it, it stands to reason OBS is at fault.

*Update* The computer is freshly started, and the only software I've loaded since stat-up was Chrome, and OBS crashed the video. So what, next you're going to say Chrome is causing it? When nothing crashed while Chrome was running, but did when OBS started? Now OBS is running, and working, but the crash happens while OBS is starting.

Last edited:

PaiSand

Do you understand that this issue is hapenning to you and no one else, rigth?

This is one of the plugins you installed:
21:11:00.090: spectralizer.dll

It don't come with OBS, isn't an optional file of OBS either. The only way to be there is if you installed it.
As you don't want to solve the issue you have, no more support from my part. Consider this closed.

Basileus Dahlia

Do you understand that this issue is hapenning to you and no one else, rigth?
As you don't want to solve the issue you have, no more support from my part. Consider this closed.
He's not the only one having this issue, I'm having it right now.
And this thread didn't come to a fix directly because of your toxicity, and so it's now harder for me to find the solution.
Maybe his plugin was the issue, but he didn't bother continuing the conversation so now I don't know.

And before you rave at me about plugins like you did him, I don't have whatever spectralizer.dll is, and the one plugin I do have was uninstalled cleanly and OBS is still causing my GPU drivers to lock and crash. This started happening inbetween driver updates and persists across multiple driver versions from latest, to this dumb Win 11 custom one they keep installing, to older authentic AMD released drivers. My GPU has been the most stable it's ever been and I have a brand new CPU paired with it, it's just OBS doing this.

*Update* The computer is freshly started, and the only software I've loaded since stat-up was Chrome, and OBS crashed the video. So what, next you're going to say Chrome is causing it? When nothing crashed while Chrome was running, but did when OBS started? Now OBS is running, and working, but the crash happens while OBS is starting.
Were you ever able to fix this problem or did it eventually go away on its own? My drivers used to recover after but now my PC is requiring a hard restart every time and it's getting on my nerves.

darkfantasy

He's not the only one having this issue, I'm having it right now.
And this thread didn't come to a fix directly because of your toxicity, and so it's now harder for me to find the solution.
Maybe his plugin was the issue, but he didn't bother continuing the conversation so now I don't know.

And before you rave at me about plugins like you did him, I don't have whatever spectralizer.dll is, and the one plugin I do have was uninstalled cleanly and OBS is still causing my GPU drivers to lock and crash. This started happening inbetween driver updates and persists across multiple driver versions from latest, to this dumb Win 11 custom one they keep installing, to older authentic AMD released drivers. My GPU has been the most stable it's ever been and I have a brand new CPU paired with it, it's just OBS doing this.

Were you ever able to fix this problem or did it eventually go away on its own? My drivers used to recover after but now my PC is requiring a hard restart every time and it's getting on my nerves.
same issue, doesnt happen with old drivers 20.12.1, dont know what to do.

PiedmontJim

Same problem here. I have a decent gaming PC and it crashes the graphics processor completely. PC still running, but I have no display to see what else is happening so I have to hard-reboot. The graphics processor handles all kinds of stuff with no problem. It's just OBS, or more particularly when I click record. I click record and the graphics processor immediately shuts down.