Question / Help Video Editing?

Flint Parrell

I've been having an issue with studio that simply doesn't like audio. I downloaded VLC and it works with that, but i have no audio when I try to edit my videos or upload them to youtube. Is there a specific editing software I should use?

Blink

I've never tried to edit a file with VLC before, if that's what you mean. Most people use an actual dedicated editing application. I'm not really familiar with any free ones though. Invariably you end up looking at the premium home user / prosumer type applications to get any real interesting work done.

Or if you're lucky you already have a license for a beefy app through other means like work or something. (Vegas, Premiere, Avid, etc).

From my personal experience I've used TMPGenc Video Mastering Works 5 & 6, Sony Vegas 13, Premiere Pro CC2015. There is a home user version of Vegas called Movie Studio Platinum 13 for like $40 on Steam. There are also other companies with competing low end products as well, like Pinnacle Studio 19. But I have no experience with that and its a bit more expensive.

Most, if not all of these programs have Youtube output templates etc. Their H.264 encoders tend to be crap imho, especially if you are talking high-motion 60fps. Less stringent requirements might get you better results I suppose.

Led Foot

VLC is unsafe to download

when i download VLC my computer removes it because it is unsafe. NORTON is my securitey and is one of the most top rated anti-virus softwares out their.

coRpSE

@Led Foot I have been using VLC for many years and love it. (their player that is). I know for a fact that they are safe and I agree with Sapiens that Norton is known for false positives, and overall is one of the worse anti virus programs out there.

@Flint Parrell I have never used their editing software, but I know their player sometimes has trouble playing recordings, (Audio), especially if they are recording in the file format of .flv.If your using .flv for the file format of your recordings with in the settings of your OBS, then try switching to .mp4 for the file format. I personally use Sony Vegas myself for editing my software.

Led Foot

@Led Foot Norton is an ineffective pile of garbage that's more prone to false positives than most antivirus software; VLC is totally safe. If you're going to trust Norton then you shouldn't use OBS either, because OBS is also frequently picked up as a false positive. Please don't make uninformed posts like this in the future, thanks.
So now my posts are false. Norton has protected me a lot and my thing is, you might think that is it safe but when i checked the details, it is saying that 3rd party ad company's are trying to get in with the download. Another thing is that i download software and even though it is safe, when i delete it off my computer i still get ad pop ups by the company advertising their company. Also can you recommend a good editing software that doesn't require me to be bill gates to afford? Also not one that is overly complicated, like one like Movie Maker but can handle OBS. Sorry i am not trusting 3rd party software on my computer when i'm downloading it from a site i know nothing about. I have already come very close to getting my computer hacked by something like this. Also that is no way to talk to a member calling their programs trash trying to advertise yours. Calling my posts fake. Might just go to other programs that i don't need to do days of research to find a program that works for it.

Last edited:

coRpSE

So now my posts are false. Norton has protected me a lot and my thing is, you might think that is it safe but when i checked the details, it is saying that 3rd party ad company's are trying to get in with the download. Another thing is that i download software and even though it is safe, when i delete it off my computer i still get ad pop ups by the company advertising their company. Also can you recommend a good editing software that doesn't require me to be bill gates to afford? Also not one that is overly complicated, like one like Movie Maker but can handle OBS. Sorry i am not trusting 3rd party software on my computer when i'm downloading it from a site i know nothing about. I have already come very close to getting my computer hacked by something like this. Also that is no way to talk to a member calling their programs trash trying to advertise yours. Calling my posts fake. Might just go to other programs that i don't need to do days of research to find a program that works for it.

First off, if you want to be sure if its a false positive for anything, there is a site out there that allows you to have them scan the program and tell you if it is a false positive or not, you can read the article here: http://www.howtogeek.com/180162/how-to-tell-if-a-virus-is-actually-a-false-positive/

Here is the latest scan of VLC: https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/...e9cda1bcb2341e798da12e359d81cb36e51/analysis/

When it comes to anti virus programs, everyone has their own opinions. I am a gamer, so Norton and McAfee are garbage to me because they are resource hogs, and they are large in size. When gaming, I want something lightweight and does the job. Another thing is when I said it's one of the worse, I am taking all aspects of the program into count and not just what its primary job is.

Now onto free video editing programs, or cheap video editing programs that can handle OBS, well, I am pretty sure if you are using Windows Movie Maker, it can handle recordings of OBS. Just try different recorded file types. I know with OBS, I am recording to file type .mp4, and I think by default, its .flv. You can change that in the settings of OBS or remux the video iwith OBS if that is the case. Other than that, you can check out here:
http://filmora.wondershare.com/video-editor/free-video-editing-software-windows.html#windows

I know you said,
Sorry i am not trusting 3rd party software on my computer when i'm downloading it from a site i know nothing about.

But any other free or cheap program your going to use will be a 3rd party software which you more and likely wont know. Best thing is, before downloading it, do a little research on it. It only takes a few seconds to go to Google, Ask.com, or Bing to do a search on the program your about to download and read reviews or comments from others that use it.

As for the original poster using VLC to edit his recordings, I just looked into it more and found that their video editing software is still in development and VLMC, (VideoLAN Movie Creator), can't be downloaded, so I am not really sure what he was trying to use VLC for since that is just a player and not a editor. More on that can be read here: http://www.videolan.org/vlmc/

Note:
Though I agree with Sapiens, his wording could have been better. But you ask, "So now my posts are false.", I would say yes for that one post because you are flat out saying
VLC is unsafe to download

when i download VLC my computer removes it because it is unsafe. NORTON is my securitey and is one of the most top rated anti-virus softwares out their.

You are stating there that VLC is unsafe, which it is not. Many companies have reviewed it along with many people.
As for Norton being a top rated, that is not false, depending on who did the ratings. I seen some where it's in the top 5, and I seen some where its not even a contender in the top 10, eg: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2372364,00.asp

But that again will all be opinion based.

Overall, I wish I could tell you a better software for video editing, but I can only tell you what I have used and that is just Windows Movie Maker years ago and Sony Vegas. but like I said, the problem could be just the file type you are recording to within the OBS settings.

Last edited:

132nd.Fudd

I suspect that mess with VLC is just Norton's "community feedback" kicking in. I run sim addons that frequently kick off warnings when a new version is released. The cause? I'm among the first less-than-a-hundred-people to grab the software, so Norton informs me that it has no metrics on wether this file is safe or not (beyond being free from virii). It's an informative message, not a warning klaxon.

As for video editing, it all depends on what you're trying to achieve. I've recently moved from LightWorks to DaVinci Resolve. Both are professional level editors, and Resolve's UI is a dream to use. Being pro-level, they are not for everyone. It's a bit like using Photoshop CS to draw commentary arrows onto game screenshots, it's much easier to do it in MS Paint.

Led Foot

First off, if you want to be sure if its a false positive for anything, there is a site out there that allows you to have them scan the program and tell you if it is a false positive or not, you can read the article here: http://www.howtogeek.com/180162/how-to-tell-if-a-virus-is-actually-a-false-positive/

Here is the latest scan of VLC: https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/...e9cda1bcb2341e798da12e359d81cb36e51/analysis/

When it comes to anti virus programs, everyone has their own opinions. I am a gamer, so Norton and McAfee are garbage to me because they are resource hogs, and they are large in size. When gaming, I want something lightweight and does the job. Another thing is when I said it's one of the worse, I am taking all aspects of the program into count and not just what its primary job is.

Now onto free video editing programs, or cheap video editing programs that can handle OBS, well, I am pretty sure if you are using Windows Movie Maker, it can handle recordings of OBS. Just try different recorded file types. I know with OBS, I am recording to file type .mp4, and I think by default, its .flv. You can change that in the settings of OBS or remux the video iwith OBS if that is the case. Other than that, you can check out here:
http://filmora.wondershare.com/video-editor/free-video-editing-software-windows.html#windows

I know you said,

But any other free or cheap program your going to use will be a 3rd party software which you more and likely wont know. Best thing is, before downloading it, do a little research on it. It only takes a few seconds to go to Google, Ask.com, or Bing to do a search on the program your about to download and read reviews or comments from others that use it.

As for the original poster using VLC to edit his recordings, I just looked into it more and found that their video editing software is still in development and VLMC, (VideoLAN Movie Creator), can't be downloaded, so I am not really sure what he was trying to use VLC for since that is just a player and not a editor. More on that can be read here: http://www.videolan.org/vlmc/

Note:
Though I agree with Sapiens, his wording could have been better. But you ask, "So now my posts are false.", I would say yes for that one post because you are flat out saying

You are stating there that VLC is unsafe, which it is not. Many companies have reviewed it along with many people.
As for Norton being a top rated, that is not false, depending on who did the ratings. I seen some where it's in the top 5, and I seen some where its not even a contender in the top 10, eg: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2372364,00.asp

Overall, I wish I could tell you a better software for video editing, but I can only tell you what I have used and that is just Windows Movie Maker years ago and Sony Vegas. but like I said, the problem could be just the file type you are recording to within the OBS settings.
It keeps saying a 3rd party ad company is trying to get on my computer on all of my downloads on every webiste, im running a 15 hour long scan to figure out why.

Led Foot

I know you said,

Note:

Filmore costs way to much money and when i downloaded the free version i got a ton of ad pop ups.

coRpSE

@Led Foot If your getting popups when you tried to install VLC, then I think you may want to scan your system with a anti-spyware program, because VLC has no adds attached to it. Try using something like Spybot Search and Destroy and scan your computer.

Jenoki

I decided to check out Resolve based on some of the recommendations in this thread, but anything I import into it from OBS-Studio plays back all garbled.

Is there a way to get it to play back nicely in Resolve? Plays fine in everything else.

Simes

Could you be more specific? What does "plays back all garbled" mean?

Other than multitrack audio, which has been discussed elsewhere, I haven't had any problems with Resolve, but it does have its quirks.

Jenoki

Could you be more specific? What does "plays back all garbled" mean?

If I try to seek through footage, it looks like this:

M45Nt8D.jpg

Sometimes it will playback fine, if I playback from the very beginning of the clip. but I can't do that while editing.

Here's a webm of it in action.

Any ideas?

Simes

That is extremely odd, because what you have there is Resolve's "Media Offline" warning display, only *that's* messed up. Is the footage all a standard resolution?

Jenoki

My footage is 2k (2048 x 1152) at 60fps.
I've also set Resolve's project settings to match this too.

But as I was typing this, I found the issue!

I recorded some more footage but this time with the x264 encoder in OBS (I previously use QuickSync).

Resolve has no problem playing back this now!

But if anyone can explain why there would be issue playing back QuickSync encoded files(it's still x264 right?), that would by nice, as I'd much prefer to use that since it's less strain on CPU.

**edit**
I'm opening a new thread about this, there seems to be a problem with the new QuickSync encoder
Sorry to OP for hijacking!

Last edited:

David Baker

Adobe, Camtasia and PawEditor are the 3 utilities that I often used to edit a video. Sometime they will offer discount or free license if holiday promotion comes. Thus I often get the licenses at that time. They all work for me to edit video for YouTube.