Video Editing Gurus help: trying to match videoediting software to be like OBS' efficient rendering!

Zekira

I wonder if any video editing gurus can help me out here...

OK let's see if I can explain this properly...

After recording some stuff via OBS, I would usually want to do some simple edits like trimming, joining multiple videos, etc. via Sony Vegas. However, Vegas' rendering options is very inefficient compared to OBS' encoding! What I mean by this is that a roughly 4Mbps bitrate rendered by Vegas is somehow much lesser quality than an OBS recorded video with an average bitrate of 2Mbps! This bloats up the file size of things I edited in Vegas.

The file size is important to me because my country has very bad internet and I don't want to take forever to upload things!

Using Gretech's GOM Player, I checked to see if there's anything special in the video encoding in the OBS recorded one. I'm gonna paste the details here:

Bad quality from Vegas: https://pastebin.com/EtZ8XRVs
Good quality from OBS: https://pastebin.com/nnWPUQGk

The main difference is the Writing library and Encoding Settings portion. It seems that OBS renders with a LOT of extra parameters, which seems to be making the very large difference.

I've been searching around for possible ways to go like "Vegas advanced parameters" but I couldn't find any. So as a last resort, I'm asking here in the event that someone might know! I am also very open to using other video edting+rendering methods, so that I can finally end my Vegas subscription if possible.

Thanks in advance! This will mean a lot if I could get it right!

R1CH

Forum Admin
Developer
Vegas doesn't use the same encoder, so you'll never be able to match x264's quality. When quality is of the utmost importance, export uncompressed video using Vegas then encode that using ffmpeg / x264 to your final version.

Boildown

I normally save my project out of Vegas to an uncompressed AVI "intermediate file", which depending on the length of the output can be (is likely to be) hundreds of gigabytes in size, then use Handbrake to encode the intermediate file with x264. I prefer this way to the frameserver because I only have to run it out of Vegas once, and I can use Handbrake on the intermediate file over and over, comparing various CRF values to hone in on my favorite compromise between size and quality, another encode for my permanent archives, and one for upload to YouTube (high bitrate but .5 second GOP size). All those generally use different x264 settings so the frameserver becomes impractical. Once I'm done I can delete the intermediate file to free up the hard drive space again.