VB-Cable stopped working

MrLooms

Hello!

I am an elementary school teacher doing online lessons over Zoom.

I have been using VB-Cable to allow me to use OBS filters on the mic to suppress background noise from the busy office I work out of. I have also set other teachers up with this.

Today it suddenly stopped working for me. No matter what I try, VB-Cable gets no signal. When I set the monitoring device to my headphones, I can hear it.

I have tried reinstalling OBS and reinstalling VB-Cable

Here are my settings in OBS and Zoom. Please help!

Problem.png

MrLooms

Forgive me, I looked into jackaudio but I couldn't figure it out even after looking at a few tutorials online. It seems a little more complicated than my previous solution.

I don't see a reason my VB-Cable setup should not work, considering it worked fine yesterday, and works fine on my co-worker's computer.

Ibrxhvm

Hello! I know this is an old question yet I am having trouble with this as well. I have the same relative setup as you do, and have the same problem as well. I might be over complicating this but I can’t find a way to unmute it in the windows settings. But other questions related to this topic are your vb cables set to be default devices or are they default communication devices or not default devices at all?

BenO

Oh wow it was the same thing as MrLooms. Thanks for the tip MrLooms! I have no idea how this setting got changed. I didn't do it, for sure. Maybe a Windows update or a driver update... who knows. To fix it: Right click on Speaker and go Sound Settings. Then click Sound Control Panel. Then look for the Virtual Audio Cable (CABLE-A Input in my case) in the list of Playback Devices. Then go to Properties then Levels. There is a little Mute button and mine had a red X. I clicked it to unmute and it was fixed. I verified by hitting Apply, Ok, and then switching to the Recording tab. When I talk into my Mic which is routed to CABLE-A through OBS, the levels show my speech in the CABLE-A Output. Before I unmuted that device, the levels would stay at zero when I talked into the mic. Frustrating because it cost me a lot of time to find. Hopefully, this will help someone.

cyclemat

try deinstall the cables and reinstall it or try this

PaiSand

Yes. In vb-audio help they state that some times windows (when upgrading/patching OS system) don't reinstall correctly the drivers, so you are forced to do it manually.

ForeverLoved

Need Help Setting Up The Cables With Voicemeter Potatoe, OBS & Zoom Please I Watch So Many YouTube Videos And Still Haven't Figured It Out Please Need Your Help For Of Church Ministry .... Thanks In Advance

Hardware sound drivers haven't got anything to do with this issue because it's not a literal hardware issue. It's software because it's a virtual hardware device.

While getting started with noise reduction for my mic according to this page blahblahblah I ran Lighthost according to the guide. I could hear my voice very clearly on my default USB mic. Next, the guide said to install VBCable. My old VB cable wasn't enabled so I enabled it again. No input whatsoever. I even updated it to the latest version. I've uninstalled VBcable 3 times today and it's still not working. It worked fine the last time I used it back in 2020.

BTW Voicemod works flawlessly, which indicates virtual mics are not a problem in Windows 10. I think the problem is with VBcable itself, as there is no setting in Windows sound that I could find that could possibly mute it.

phuquy1311

Oh wow it was the same thing as MrLooms. Thanks for the tip MrLooms! I have no idea how this setting got changed. I didn't do it, for sure. Maybe a Windows update or a driver update... who knows. To fix it: Right click on Speaker and go Sound Settings. Then click Sound Control Panel. Then look for the Virtual Audio Cable (CABLE-A Input in my case) in the list of Playback Devices. Then go to Properties then Levels. There is a little Mute button and mine had a red X. I clicked it to unmute and it was fixed. I verified by hitting Apply, Ok, and then switching to the Recording tab. When I talk into my Mic which is routed to CABLE-A through OBS, the levels show my speech in the CABLE-A Output. Before I unmuted that device, the levels would stay at zero when I talked into the mic. Frustrating because it cost me a lot of time to find. Hopefully, this will help someone.
Thank you. It works!

David E.

Hi all, I´m in a bit of panic mode here. I´ve been using the VB-cable and OBS without any issues for months now. I see clients via a platform where I have a license (similar to the zoom interface), but suddenly I have no microphone sound at all on the platform, even though I can still choose the VB-cable as source (the sound works fine if I choose the microphone directly instead). I found this thread and tried Zoom and it´s the same problem there. I don´t use Zoom much but I know it worked well With the VB-cable a few weeks ago.

I recently upgraded to Windows 11 and figurered that´s the problem, so I tried downgrading again, but no difference. I´ve also reinstalled the VB-cable, updated Realtek, and made sure the volume is at 100% in the Windows interface.

My condenser microphone is useless without the VB-cable since I need the OBS filters. I have the exact same settings as MrLooms in the first post. What can I do???

David E.

After abut 14 hours of experimenting with no luck I did a factory reset of my PC and now everything works fine again. I believe something happened when I upgraded to Windows 11. I have no idea what happened, but the Control panel looks different now when everything works. The top one is before the reset, and the bottom one is from now when everything is fine. Obviously there´s no Input on the first one, but I have no idea what to make of that info.

Skärmbild (22).png

Skärmbild (25).png

AaronD

I recently upgraded to Windows 11 and figurered that´s the problem, so I tried downgrading again, but no difference.
As long as Windows 10 is still supported, I'd stick with that. Not because 11 is bad, but because you already have a rig that works, and upgrading the OS is effectively an automated reinstall of everything. And downgrading again doesn't necessarily put it all back, as you found out.

If you have the time and energy to do a complete wipe and manual reinstall anyway, then go ahead. Otherwise, leave it as-is until the support runs out. Then find or make the time to actually rebuild it from scratch (not upgrade in place) based on what you've learned up to that point.

Don't have an outdated system on the internet, 'cause that's an open invitation to get hacked. Keep it updated and patched, but don't change major versions until you have to. Usually, that's when it won't update any more, for whatever reason. And when you do change major versions, consider it to be a fresh install with all of the new-system problems, because the "simple upgrade" concept rarely works.

Last edited:

David E.

As long as Windows 10 is still supported, I'd stick with that. Not because 11 is bad, but because you already have a rig that works, and upgrading the OS is effectively an automated reinstall of everything. And downgrading again doesn't necessarily put it all back, as you found out.

If you have the time and energy to do a complete wipe and manual reinstall anyway, then go ahead. Otherwise, leave it as-is until the support runs out. Then find or make the time to actually rebuild it from scratch (not upgrade in place) based on what you've learned up to that point.

Don't have an outdated system on the internet, 'cause that's an open invitation to get hacked. Keep it updated and patched, but don't change major versions until you have to. Usually, that's when it won't update any more, for whatever reason. And when you do change major versions, consider it to be a fresh install with all of the new-system problems, because the "simple upgrade" concept rarely works.

Thanks for your reply AaronD! You are probably right, but I couldn´t help myself, I really wanted to get this working with Windows 11 before I could let it go. As mentioned, I did a factory reset with Windows 10 yesterday and after installing everything again OBS/VB-cable worked perfectly in both Zoom and my client platform.

However, today I upgraded to Windows 11 again, knowing that I might have to do the whole thing over again, and yes - the problem was back, just like before. But, since there seemed to be a problem with the virtual cable input (according to the previous check in the VB Control panel), I figured maybe the problem is between OBS and the cable. So instead of resetting my computer again I used IObit Unistaller to wipe any trace of OBS and the cable. I understand this is not an option for some that have a lot of stuff set up in OBS, but so far I only got a couple of scenes set up for my virtual camera. I believe there is an option to reinstall OBS but keeping the settings, but I have no idea if that would work.

Anyhow, now everything works great with Windows 11! Perhaps I could have done this reinstall yesterday instead of the factory reset, but now my PC is fresh as new, as a bonus. I´ve spent a ridiculous amount of hours coming to these conclusions, but maybe it can save someone else the hassle, and hopefully I´m set myself now. At least until the arrival of Windows 12:)

Revolver

Reviving this one...A recent update on my work machine has caused VB Audio to not output to Zoom/Discord even though nothing has changed in OBS and the signal is still working directly in OBS. I have reinstalled VB a few times and checked the muting suggestion in this thread. Is there any ideas on how I can fix this? Because its a work machine, I cant roll back the changes and I dont even know what specific change would have done it. Theres nothing sound related on the recent update list. Any advice would be great!!

AaronD

Reviving this one...A recent update on my work machine has caused VB Audio to not output to Zoom/Discord even though nothing has changed in OBS and the signal is still working directly in OBS. I have reinstalled VB a few times and checked the muting suggestion in this thread. Is there any ideas on how I can fix this? Because its a work machine, I cant roll back the changes and I dont even know what specific change would have done it. Theres nothing sound related on the recent update list. Any advice would be great!!
Are you using this for work? Or are you using a work machine for personal things?

If it's for work, then maybe you should get your IT guy(s) involved.

If you're using a work machine for personal stuff, that's a big liability for both of you! I know it's convenient to use a good machine that you just happen to have access to, but seriously, keep the work machine for work, alone. Buy your own to do personal stuff on, and don't use it for work. Keep them separate.

You *might* get permission to swap the hard drive in the work machine for personal use, so that there's no chance of cross-contamination, which is a big part of the problem, but there's still the risk that they call the hardware back, and then you're stuck. I got that permission from my work a long time ago, for a work laptop that made it easy to swap drives, but don't count on it. Even that, though, was only for business trips so that I didn't have to pack two laptops; I always used my own at home.