VAAPI broken in OBS/Flatpak and now completely gone in OBS 29.0.0

ripper81

I had problems with using VAAPI for GPU encoding since an update of the flatpakruntime. It worked well on my System with my Radeon RX 6700 XT beforehand. Now after upgrading to 29.0.0. The FFMPEG VAAPI encoder is no longer available at all. Anyone else facing the same issue?

Tuna

OBS 29 has vaapi feature detection. It only shows what is supported to work on the hardware. Since the Flatpak/KDE runtime is still broken, that detection will also show nothing for you.

x_m7

For me while VAAPI was indeed broken with OBS 28 Flatpak due to an update to the drivers in the runtime OBS 29 has switched to a newer version of the runtime, and VAAPI works for me with OBS 29 Flatpak now.

However, I am using Intel graphics, and for AMD I heard that there are issues with patents and H264 which means that the H264 VAAPI support is now split out into a separate Flatpak. So, running `flatpak install org.freedesktop.Platform.GL.default//22.08-extra` might do the trick.

ripper81

For me while VAAPI was indeed broken with OBS 28 Flatpak due to an update to the drivers in the runtime OBS 29 has switched to a newer version of the runtime, and VAAPI works for me with OBS 29 Flatpak now.

However, I am using Intel graphics, and for AMD I heard that there are issues with patents and H264 which means that the H264 VAAPI support is now split out into a separate Flatpak. So, running `flatpak install org.freedesktop.Platform.GL.default//22.08-extra` might do the trick.
This is allready installed on my system. But FFMPEG VAAPI is still unavailable for me. I attach the logfile.

Attachments

• 2023-01-09 15-08-59.txt
    6.8 KB · Views: 57

Eelt

I'm on Arch Linux and am observing the same issue as OP. Only software x264 encoding is available in OBS installed via Flatpak, with no option for VAAPI. I have similar hardware too (Ryzen 3900X, RX 6600 aka Navi 23/Dimgrey Crayfish).

I wonder if this relates to some sort of libva-mesa-driver interaction issue or lack of inclusion (not an expert on Flatpak packaging). I also did have the `org.freedesktop.Platform.GL.default//22.08-extra` flatpak installed.

Attachments

• obs_log.txt
    5.9 KB · Views: 24

raven17a

I have similar problem. Flatpak and application from repo didn't support VAAPI (OpenSuse Thumbleweed). SNAP version working fine. But after updating Mesa to 23.0, app from repo started working. Flatpak has it's own Mesa version 22.3.2, the same as I have installed on my system before. Maybe it's Mesa issue.

RytoEX

Forum Admin
Forum Moderator
Developer
The issue in the KDE Runtime has been fixed and deployed. The fixes will come through an update to the KDE 6.4 Runtime. Please check for updates through your app center of choice, or by running
Code:
$ flatpak update
on the terminal.