Question / Help Using Syphon - help

Distrits

Hello,

I would like to test OBS withe the Syphon and Syphon inject feature. Can anybody give me an example ho to set it ?

Last edited:

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
When you add a Syphon source, you select from a list of Syphon servers that are currently running on your computer. For example, you could run the Simple Syphon Server, a sample program that provides a Syphon server, and that will appear as a selectable source in the Syphon source properties.

Many programs that use OpenGL to show graphics to the screen don't provide a Syphon server, but you can attempt to inject Syphon support into a program with SyphonInject. There are 2 ways to do this in OBS: 1) Press the Launch SyphonInject button, select a program in SyphonInject, press "Inject", and then select the [Injected] source in OBS, or 2) Check the "Inject" checkbox in OBS, select the program from the dropdown, and then select the [Injected] program in the sources dropdown. Note that SyphonInject isn't perfect, and not all programs will be injectable. For example, Minecraft seems to have trouble being injected with SyphonInject.

Hopefully that gives you something to work off of.

keybounce

Is there any way to get the mouse diplayed on a syphon recording? I get the program's output wonderfully, but no mouse.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
If I recall correctly we're still working on the mouse display for syphon.

otis freeth

what is syphon inject exactly as i have downloaded along with obs and don't know what it is.and will it cause harm to my computer

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
It won't cause harm to your computer. It is used to capture OpenGL applications, such as games and video players.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
The people who made syphon made it rather difficult to capture the cursor properly. I made some preliminary functions to capture the cursor but I can't get the view that syphon is attached to so I can't composite the cursor over the capture yet.

bradlibum

So quick question about what dodgepong said about how to use Syphon. (Second option) When you 'check' the Inject button, would the first selected program be OBS or the software you try to inject Syphon into? I was able to successfully inject Syphon, but I was not sure which applications to select for both options.

ihf

I am trying to get OBS to provide Syphon OUTPUT (so I can get it into Camtwist and from there to apps that do not have Syphon client). Is there a way to do this with SyphoneInject? I have tried and OBS shows up as a Syphon Server but there is no video output.

Narcogen

I just ran SyphonInject on an instance of OBS-FTL 0.16.6 and then selected the injected OBS syphon source and got the hall of mirrors effect, so it looks to me like OBS can be injected.

Narcogen

No idea, I don't have those games. Generally speaking, run SyphonInject, choose the process to inject, and see if the source shows up. If it does, it works! If not, I've yet to see any amount of tinkering that will do it.