Question / Help Using OBS to stream to Zoom (zoom.us)

vectordoctor

Using OBS to stream to Zoom on Mac

Tested on MacOS Catalina v 10.15.3

From Mac - Airplay to an iPad ( might work on Apple TV also, not sure )
From Mac - OBS - Right click on Active Video, Project on Display 2
You should be having the live video on the iPad

Set up cam twist to capture the Desktop of the iPad
On zoom, Select Camtwist as camera source

Extra for the sound, you may use Loopback Audio.

Tested for 20 min worked fine.

Screenshot:
4396 × 1440 px

TimothyPowers

I'm using my MacBook Pro to run OBS 24.0.6 and Zoom on my work computer (HP Elitebook). It's just a matter of connecting the HDMI out from my MacBook to the USB-C HDMI capture box connected to my work computer. Then just jump into studio mode in OBS and set display 2 as your full screen projector.

Advantages:
  • Provides a clean 1080p 60fps feed into Zoom / Skype / Google Hangouts
  • No third party software installed on my work computer and eliminates the risk of IT policies removing installed software.
  • Allows me to easily manage my content sharing through OBS without worrying about CPU/GPU bottlenecks on my work computer.

Disadvantages:
  • Takes an extra computer to make this work.
  • Adapter will set you back about $125.

For me, the $125 was a easy investment in my keeping my sanity. I've been using this setup for >1 year. While other teams struggle to get their Zoom virtual backgrounds working, my setup has never let me down.

vectordoctor

I need to agree this is a more reliable solution.

For work, im using the blackmagic mini atem, which eliminates the obs laptop.

hughan

I need to agree this is a more reliable solution.

For work, im using the blackmagic mini atem, which eliminates the obs laptop.
Could you please give some details on how your setup works?
I'm on a macbook pro and have purchased an Atem Mini.
My requirement is to simply have a chromakeyed version of myself with my mac desktop as the backdrop. The hdmi out from the Atem does show exactly what I want. However, my zoom participants do not see me, just the desktop.
Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

jeanjack

Using OBS to stream to Zoom on Mac

Tested on MacOS Catalina v 10.15.3

From Mac - Airplay to an iPad ( might work on Apple TV also, not sure )
From Mac - OBS - Right click on Active Video, Project on Display 2
You should be having the live video on the iPad

Set up cam twist to capture the Desktop of the iPad
On zoom, Select Camtwist as camera source

Extra for the sound, you may use Loopback Audio.

Tested for 20 min worked fine.

Screenshot:
4396 × 1440 px
This works only if you have an iPad that supports pencil as you can't airplay to an older iPad from Catalina

guariored

I'm using my MacBook Pro to run OBS 24.0.6 and Zoom on my work computer (HP Elitebook). It's just a matter of connecting the HDMI out from my MacBook to the USB-C HDMI capture box connected to my work computer. Then just jump into studio mode in OBS and set display 2 as your full screen projector.

Advantages:
  • Provides a clean 1080p 60fps feed into Zoom / Skype / Google Hangouts
  • No third party software installed on my work computer and eliminates the risk of IT policies removing installed software.
  • Allows me to easily manage my content sharing through OBS without worrying about CPU/GPU bottlenecks on my work computer.

Disadvantages:
  • Takes an extra computer to make this work.
  • Adapter will set you back about $125.

For me, the $125 was a easy investment in my keeping my sanity. I've been using this setup for >1 year. While other teams struggle to get their Zoom virtual backgrounds working, my setup has never let me down.
Thanks, Timothy for your explanation. Very helpful! Just a clarifying question: Once you have a USB C HDMI computer box, zoom will be able to recognize your second computer as a video source? Is this correct? Thanks

thedjprashant

I was able to go get video to work using second display in OBS. But sound continues to be an issue.

I tried to use loopback get my audio to go from OBS to Zoom but could not figure it out. Tried OBS as source in Loopback (Didn’t her audio) & then loopback as input in Zoom. No luck. Also tried pass through from OBS to loopback & that didn’t work either.

gifty

I have tried a host of things to stream my OBS output into Zoom on Mac. This has worked the best for me -

1. Download the older version of zoom 4.6.8 (19178.0323). I think somebody provided the link above.
2. Now download and run NDI tools & run NDI virtual input
3. In OBS under tools select NDI output settings and select Main Output
4. now go back to NDI virtual Input and select OBS as a source.
5. run zoom and voila you will see NDI Source in your camera options

TimothyPowers

Thanks, Timothy for your explanation. Very helpful! Just a clarifying question: Once you have a USB C HDMI computer box, zoom will be able to recognize your second computer as a video source? Is this correct? Thanks

Yes, I use OBS to sync my audio w/the camera and both are sent over HDMI to my MiraBox USB-C capture appliance. From within Zoom, I just select the MiraBox Audio Capture for my microphone and the MiraBox Video Capture as my video source. Zoom shows my Mac Mini's second monitor as my camera.

Ribble

I have tried a host of things to stream my OBS output into Zoom on Mac. This has worked the best for me -

1. Download the older version of zoom 4.6.8 (19178.0323). I think somebody provided the link above.

Good evening all! Hope you're all well!

THIS IS DRIVING ME INSANE. Simply put, I can't figure out how to make OBS transfer into Zoom as a virtual cam so that I can make what I see in OBS transfer into Zoom to send on my calls (I'm a music teacher, so would like multiple cameras for hands, feet, face etc).

I have OBS 25.0.8 on Mac OS 10.14.6 that recognises NDI sources (such as my iPhones running NDI HX) and it they work fine in OBS
I enable NDI Output Settings (Main Output) and that is recognised in NDI Virtual Input (OBS) and it's selected (Tick next to it in taskbar)
I've downgraded Zoom to 4.6.12 and thinking that my output would be recognised as a camera...Nothing.

Tried to install CamTwist - messed up my old 10.11.6 Mac so much that I've had to run Time Machine to re-instate it...

HELP!!

Ribble

...In addition, my older Mac with OS 10.11.6 and latest Zoom 5.0.3 works a treat. Is there something up with Mojave?

HunterAndersonX

Thank you @gifty you're a lifesaver. This got me up and running!

I'm running on the latest Zoom and MacOS Catalina. I had to run codesign --remove-signature /Applications/zoom.us.app/ after installing XCode tools so that my virtual webcam shows up in Zoom (more info).

DonWolfi

Yeah, that did it for me! thanks @HunterAndersonX and all who contributed to this thread ! using mac os 10.15.5 (19F101) and zoom version 5.0.5 (26223.0603) ... now the only thing is the video comes in choppy (it is already choppy in OBS), the sound is perfect (using Loopback to directly grab the sound and output to Zoom).

RGJenks

In OBS under

I do not see NDI output in my OBS tools? I just installed NDI Virtual input,

Newbie here, First thanks for the help. I downloaded NDI tools, it came with 5 installers, I installed Virtual input and the NDI driver. I do not see in OBS "tools" any NDI output settings. What am I missing? MacBook Air 2019 OS 10.15.5

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-06-29 at 5.31.58 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-29 at 5.31.58 PM.png
    83.8 KB · Views: 63

RGJenks

New release as of virtual cam and Zoom 5.1.1 work!!! Very easy no work around.

TQOBW

Works perfectly. Just loaded obs-mac-virtualcam-3ca8f62-v1.2.0 into 2019 MacBook Pro, restarted OBS, found Virtual Cam in tools, started Zoom, right there in the drop down menu of camera options. Thank you!