Using OBS to Livestream from China

NovaPlush

Hello, I am trying to Livestream onto Youtube. I am in China so I have a powerful VPN/SSR which on a test gives me 39500kbps. I have no problems streaming on youtube through the webcam option. It works great actually. But If I use OBS, I get a failed connection with the server.

The exact message I get is " Failed to connect to server. The connection timed out. Make sure you've configured a valid streaming server and no firewall is blocking the connection."

So what have I done? In my settings, under the stream tab, my service is Youtube-RTMPS, Server: Primary Youtube ingest server and I have my stream key inputted from youtube.

I went to my firewall settings and allowed OBS into the firewall. This issue is also present through stream labs OBS as well.

Here is my log file. https://obsproject.com/logs/JWQzqsNAkQKkaxOQ

I don't know what else to do. It seems all of the how-to-fix videos on youtube seem not to work. Any advice from you will be much appreciated.

NovaPlush

If you ping or trace route (tracert) a.rtmps.youtube.com , does it work?
Tracing route to a.rtmps.youtube.com [148.163.48.215]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.1.1 [192.168.1.1]
2 6 ms 3 ms 2 ms 115.239.96.1
3 6 ms 4 ms 4 ms 125.123.1.102
4 8 ms 8 ms * 218.73.114.49
5 13 ms 17 ms 13 ms 202.97.73.13
6 * * * Request timed out.
7 * * * Request timed out.
8 * * * Request timed out.
9 * * * Request timed out.
10 * * * Request timed out.
11 * * * Request timed out.
12 * * * Request timed out.
13 * * * Request timed out.
14 * * * Request timed out.
15 * * * Request timed out.
16 * * * Request timed out.
17 * * * Request timed out.
18 * * * Request timed out.
19 * * * Request timed out.
20 * * * Request timed out.
21 * * * Request timed out.
22 * * * Request timed out.
23 * * * Request timed out.
24 * * * Request timed out.
25 * * * Request timed out.
26 * * * Request timed out.
27 * * * Request timed out.
28 * * * Request timed out.
29 * * * Request timed out.
30 * * * Request timed out.

qhobbes

That last IP is apparently part of the CHINANET backbone network. Maybe your VPN is only for web traffic?

konsolenritter

There is an interesting question: Where is your vpn endpoint located?
If within the chinese big wall then its nothing surprises. RTMPS is secured like ssl web traffic. Due to non-intercepting it, the wall blocks it completely.

Using your phone the transport mech is possible another one, so the transmission can be intercepted.
As said: it depends where the endpoint of your vpn connection (the other end of your "privated pipe") is really located.

R1CH

Forum Admin
Developer
You can probably stream using the Youtube - HLS option (click show all in the services list). This sends data over HTTPS instead of RTMPS similar to how it works in your browser.

NovaPlush

That last IP is apparently part of the CHINANET backbone network. Maybe your VPN is only for web traffic?
The Proxy rule is set to bypass LAN and China
There is an interesting question: Where is your vpn endpoint located?
If within the chinese big wall then its nothing surprises. RTMPS is secured like ssl web traffic. Due to non-intercepting it, the wall blocks it completely.

Using your phone the transport mech is possible another one, so the transmission can be intercepted.
As said: it depends where the endpoint of your vpn connection (the other end of your "privated pipe") is really located.
It's a Hong Kong VPN named Zion Ladder but I also you a SSR. The End Point is either set to USA or Hong Kong.

NovaPlush

You can probably stream using the Youtube - HLS option (click show all in the services list). This sends data over HTTPS instead of RTMPS similar to how it works in your browser.
I will be honest with you, I have no idea how to do that. Like I said, streaming with the Webcam works perfectly. I can assume is because it is through youtube and not third party software like OBS. The problem is laying with OBS sending the information and I believe the VPN is the cause. It's crazy because there are tons of Chinese streamers who use OBS and can access twitch and youtube just fine.

konsolenritter

The End Point is either set to USA or Hong Kong.

What is an SSR?
Aside of that: As qhobbes stated, your traffic is routed visible thru Chinanet, so it's definitely not USA! I'm afraid that when using Hong Kong your traffic is really routed back into Chinanet so its behind the wall again.
If the endpoint would really been in the USA, you should see by a traceroute already at 2nd, at last 3rd hop only traffic over international hops within usa or europe.

Suslik V

This "Show All..." is not easy to find. This entry is part of the dropdown list of the all services. So, when user selects some service it is not visible that there is more exists. User needs to click selected entry again and change it to the specific option ("Show All..." at the bottom of the list), only then the full dropdown list will be shown.

This done to exclude SFW services from the easy accessible ones.

NovaPlush

What is an SSR?
Aside of that: As qhobbes stated, your traffic is routed visible thru Chinanet, so it's definitely not USA! I'm afraid that when using Hong Kong your traffic is really routed back into Chinanet so its behind the wall again.
If the endpoint would really been in the USA, you should see by a traceroute already at 2nd, at last 3rd hop only traffic over international hops within usa or europe.
https://www.programmersought.com/article/77594193130/

This explains what a SSR is or other wise known as Shadow socks. I see what you are telling. So, let me figure out how I can completely bypass this.

NovaPlush

As said already by R1CH, you find it in the settings->stream options of OBS: " (click show all in the services list) "
If you open the complete list, there you'll find the other transport options to try.
When i switched to Youtube - HLS, it did send the signal and said it was live but nothing was showing on youtube. though, my frame rate dropped 99.1 %

konsolenritter

When i switched to Youtube - HLS, it did send the signal and said it was live but nothing was showing on youtube.

Did you opened the studio/streaming page on yt before you started the encoder?
Otherwise i often have the same experience (yt says connection is good, but the streamstart event misses.

chennan

Hello, I am trying to Livestream onto Youtube. I am in China so I have a powerful VPN/SSR which on a test gives me 39500kbps. I have no problems streaming on youtube through the webcam option. It works great actually. But If I use OBS, I get a failed connection with the server.

The exact message I get is " Failed to connect to server. The connection timed out. Make sure you've configured a valid streaming server and no firewall is blocking the connection."

So what have I done? In my settings, under the stream tab, my service is Youtube-RTMPS, Server: Primary Youtube ingest server and I have my stream key inputted from youtube.

I went to my firewall settings and allowed OBS into the firewall. This issue is also present through stream labs OBS as well.

Here is my log file. https://obsproject.com/logs/JWQzqsNAkQKkaxOQ

I don't know what else to do. It seems all of the how-to-fix videos on youtube seem not to work. Any advice from you will be much appreciated.
HI, guy. I am chinese and facing the same problem as yours. Have you solve this problem? What should I do? Await for your reply, My QQ is 417075570. thanks.