Using OBS for Mobile Streaming

Eliyash

So I just want to ask, can I use a better quality settings using a low-end CPU and GPU since I'm only going to stream using a capture card and my phone? I mean I think it takes less GPU process since it's just mobile and not computer games, and I only use the pc for OBS Encoding for my mobile stream. I'm planning to use fast quality on my

i3 4160 CPU
and GTX 1050ti 4GB GPU

Lawrence_SoCal

When using a NVENC capable card, and using the encode offload, encoding is done on a physically separate portion of the GPU so wouldn't matter if using game or capture card from that standpoint. You do need to beware of possible USB Root Hub overload (assuming USB vs PCIe capture card). And then be realistic on settings. to start, use same base and out resolution, don't rescale anywhere

real-time video encoding is VERY computationally demanding. and as you've noted, That is an old low-end CPU
See a bunch of recent (last month or two) threads on settings for low-end systems

I recommend monitoring hardware resource (CPU, GPU, RAM, etc) utilization [for ex. using Task manager’s Performance tab and/or Resource Monitor] to see if your system is being maxed out with your settings

Eliyash

Oh thanks for the response, I didn't expect that the USB Root Hub plays a part when streaming using a usb capture card. May I know what may happen if my USB Root Hub is overloaded? and also when using a capture card and obs to stream, what may be the reason that the USB Root Hub overloads? is it because of the resolution and fps I set?

Okay noted about monitoring the Task manager's Performance tab, I'll try to check on it while test streaming my game thanks!

Lawrence_SoCal

USB devices have a USB data path, and you can overwhelm a USB Root hub, just like you can exceed the capacity of any component on the PC

overloaded could be due to poor motherboard design, or the associated driver software, or simply pushing too much data through too small a (USB) pipe. That root hub has to keep track and try to keep happy everything attached to it. And you have an old (slow) version of USB on that old system. Whether sufficient or not for your use case will require you to test

konsolenritter

[...] can I use a better quality settings using a low-end CPU and GPU [...]

i3 4160 CPU
and GTX 1050ti 4GB GPU

Did you just give it a try instead asking? Being really mobile it means lowered power to your laptop, too. Serious streaming should be done with ac power available. If you stream from a forrests edge it can help to use a generator or dc-ac-adaptor for your car (or a ups) either.

You should just try what works for you and your mobile connection capabilities. GIve it a try! You'll see what works for you, and what not.

Eliyash

Did you just give it a try instead asking? Being really mobile it means lowered power to your laptop, too. Serious streaming should be done with ac power available. If you stream from a forrests edge it can help to use a generator or dc-ac-adaptor for your car (or a ups) either.

You should just try what works for you and your mobile connection capabilities. GIve it a try! You'll see what works for you, and what not.
I'm not really that techy when it comes to this kind of stuffs, I just know what kind of computer specs I have and just want to make sure that my specs and settings will not have problems during livestream even only using a mobile phone. I just came to OBS Studio Forums to read some threads regarding proper settings, encoding and stuffs, and while reading some posts, I just happen to realize that there's more to this kind of things (the encoding stuffs, cpu process and more). So since I'm not that techy or don't really know the proper ways to check how OBS works with my computer's cpu and gpu, I just tried to ask here in forums. Anyways, if I just really know these kind of stuffs I won't really bother to ask, I don't even know that the USB Root Hub will even overload, I just know it since someone told me that, how can I know about something like that if I didn't bother to ask. What's the use of forums anyways if that's the kind of response you are going to answer. How about those people who only really has 25% knowledge regarding technology and asking simple questions that you thought are difficult for them to understand?

Eliyash

USB devices have a USB data path, and you can overwhelm a USB Root hub, just like you can exceed the capacity of any component on the PC

overloaded could be due to poor motherboard design, or the associated driver software, or simply pushing too much data through too small a (USB) pipe. That root hub has to keep track and try to keep happy everything attached to it. And you have an old (slow) version of USB on that old system. Whether sufficient or not for your use case will require you to test
Okay thank you so much for the info, even though I haven't experienced a usb root hub getting overloaded, I'm sure there's a chance that I'm gonna experience this problem especially that I only used the cases' usb ports maybe not advisable to be used for capture cards since I just know that the cases' usb ports are slower or rather has low power than the ones sitting in the motherboard, not to mention that I bought this motherboard as secondhand and is already old anways, thanks for the help and response Lawrence, I really appreciate it alot

JohnPee

Let me throw my comment into this discussion. I set out wanting to live stream my daughter's football matches from a football field. My laptop has plenty of computing power but not a very large battery, I have found that the computational power required to live stream drains the battery of my laptop in about 70 minutes which is a pain. I don't have and won't have a mains generator available so am now looking for other solutions non of which are cheap and probably won't happen.

Eliyash

How about you stream using your phone? Playstore has OBS Studio that allows you to stream using your phone, with that being said, you can charge your phone into a powerbank and you can use it for several hours to stream. Becareful with the weather though I don't know if the phone will easily get hot when streaming using obs app.

JohnPee

I guess I could use an android equivalent but the issue I think and I haven't looked for some time is that Youtube won't let you stream from a mobile device so I'd have to use Twitch or FaceBook.