Question / Help Using a DSLR with OBS on Mac?

mr_shankly

Hi guys,

Having trouble using a Canon 5D Mk II as a webcam on a Mac with OBS.

Can view the DSLR fine on EOS Utility 3 through Remote Live View, and tried installing Camera Live, but no sign of it as an input, just built in webcam.

Do i need to buy a graphics card?

Thanks so much for any help.

Narcogen

Camera Live will add it as an option under Game Capture (Syphon). You need to add that as a source, then right click the source and choose the camera from the Properties pulldown.

RiverGuy

I'm having a similar problem as @mr_shankly trying to add my Canon 750D (recognised by Camera Live) as a Game Capture (syphon) source. The source dropdown shows no choices except a 'tick mark'. The OBS preview remains black. Any help appreciated. Thanks.
(El Capitan 10.11.6)

Last edited:

RiverGuy

Ok. I just fixed it. :) For anyone else, here's the solution. When you first start Camera Live, the camera name becomes visible in the list (e.g. Canon 750D) and the info window reports 'Ready'. I thought this meant it was transmitting – but no it isn't *yet*. You must select your camera from the list and *double-click it*. Now the info window reports 'Active' and you are good to go – and OBS recognises it as per @Narcogen 's instructions above. :)

Tangential

I connect my Lumix G7 using a 4k USB 3 capture card. Seems to handle it fine. I don't run any special software or drivers on my mac other than OBS