User Interface Suggestions - MacOS (Monterey in Particular)

Entroma

I have noticed a few issues in transitioning over from SLOBS to OBS Studio as a Mac user, and I figured I would take note of them here. I run MacOS Monterey on a 2021 Macbook Pro and have two external monitors, one horizontal and one vertical. Here are a few suggestions fixes/adds that I think a lot of Mac users would benefit from:

1. As I'm sure many (if not all) Mac users have noticed, trying to move docks around and customize the UI is incredibly finicky. When dragged and moved, windows moving at all and also then snapping into place as expected is super hit or miss. Same thing with trying to resize docks - I often have to click half a dozen times to get the border between docks to actually adjust when dragged. There are also issues with certain docks filling up the entire screen when opened and being unable to resize, which puts me through a whole game of moving the window between monitors and closing/reopening the desired dock until I can actually move it and snap it in place. While most of OBS's user base likely does not use Mac, this is a super fundamental feature for those of us who do, so it would be great if this glitchiness could be addressed in an update.

2. Ideally, I would like to have OBS running on my secondary vertical monitor, as this is out of the way and provides a good layout for me. However, it always launches on my main laptop display or the horizontal external display, and when I try to move it over to the vertical monitor, the dimensions are off and require resizing. This is frustrating due to the aforementioned customization issues. Given this, it would be great if there was a way for OBS to remember the monitor and layout it was in when last in use (even if there was just an option to activate a feature like this).

3. Lastly, I have come to prefer Studio Mode, but I find that it can limit the layout of the UI. I do appreciate that you can either set it to portrait or landscape, but it would be better if each of the components (i.e. preview monitor, transition options, and program monitor) were freely movable. The transition options in the middle take up a lot of valuable space because they are fixed in between the two monitors, which inevitably leads to large strips of area on either side that can't be filled with other docks or anything (see the attached screenshot). If I were able to move the transition options off to the side or even collapse them into a thinner strip in between the two monitors, that would allow me to expand both monitors and have more space to customize other surrounding docks.

I'd appreciate any feedback as to whether any of these issues already have solutions that I have missed, or if they could foreseeably be addressed in a future update. Thanks!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-12-16 at 12.04.00 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-16 at 12.04.00 PM.png
    200.4 KB · Views: 21