Use USB output of one computer as webcam input for another

Conzalez

Hello,

I am new to OSB and the whole streaming stuff.

I want to accomplish the following:
I have a company laptop running Skype for Business. Skype for Business is very limited if you want to stream something different than what the webcam is capturing. I cannot install software on that laptop.
What I can do is plugging in a USB cable.
Since I have a pretty potent private PC and I'm in home office, I thought it should be possible to connect my private PC via USB to the company laptop and let it pretend to be a "webcam". I could then set up all the streaming i want on my PC and tell Skype for Business to use the new "external webcam" as source.

I searched the Web for a while now but either this has never been done or I'm searching the wrong terms.

Any help would be very appreciated.

Thanks and stay healthy

DayGeckoArt

You can do this easily, just get an Elgato Camlink. You can plug your other computer's HDMI into it. You'll need to tell Windows to mirror the main display to the HDMI cable going to the Camlink. Camlink appears to Windows like a webcam so you don't need any special drivers, assuming your company laptop lets you plug in a webcam

WBE

By all means do NOT connect two computers by an (ordinary) usb cable. As you might know: usb devices like external hard drives can be powered over that usb cable. If both computers at both ends put some Volts on the cable, things go wrong.

wasab1

Hi,

I found your thread since Im trying to do a kinda related setup but Im running into a problem.

Basically I want to do the same thing, but a bit more complicated. I got 2 Laptops, A is running OBS and is used to switch between 3 Cameras, the Preview Image from OBS is then to be displayed on Fullscreen on a "external display" which is just another HDMI Cable with a HDMI Interface feeding into Laptop B. B is running a webinar software and that Preview from A shall be the "Webcam Input".

The Problem I am running into is that, apparently that Preview Window from OBS on A doesnt include Audio in the signal that is sent to B?

any ideas how I could fix this?
I already tried playing around with the monitoring settings but they dont seem to change anything sadly

thanks in advance
wasab1