USB-bootable Linux distro to run OBS?

Winfried

Hello,

On a PC, I'd like to burn a USB keydrive with Linux to run OBS without installing Linux on the hard drive. It'll be used just to record the screen, not for streaming.

1. When running eg. "apt-get install obs" while running a USB-based Linux distro, is OBS "installed" in RAM, or is it is actually saved on the keydrive and still be there if I reboot? If the latter, how much space does it take, so I make sure I have enough room on the keydrive?
2. What light GUI distro would you recommend for that purpose?

Thank you.

jgcastror

I have OBS Studio installed in USB drive with Linux Mint; I am not an expert in the Linux world, just testing, but you will have to install Linux in your USB so when you install the software you do not lose it in the next reboot; not sure if flashing the Linux Live distro with persistent storage could also work.

GillyMoMo

Hello,

On a PC, I'd like to burn a USB keydrive with Linux to run OBS without installing Linux on the hard drive. It'll be used just to record the screen, not for streaming.

1. When running eg. "apt-get install obs" while running a USB-based Linux distro, is OBS "installed" in RAM, or is it is actually saved on the keydrive and still be there if I reboot? If the latter, how much space does it take, so I make sure I have enough room on the keydrive?
2. What light GUI distro would you recommend for that purpose?

Thank you.

What you need to do is when you flash your usb distro is to have a persistent storage on that usb drive. So that way you can just plug and play and have your OBS install on that. I did this with chntpw and kept it on it drive for changing passwords. I am certain this will work with OBS as well.

kahikatea

Use Cubic on Ubuntu to create a custom bootable Ubuntu ISO/USB boot. It allows you to enter a virtual environment where you can add apt repos and apt-get install <package-name>. This is then added/created as part of the custom ISO/USB boot file. I even have it booting over IPXE.