Updated to Ubuntu 22.04 and OBS no longer provides "Window Capture" option

CSMMaster

I have been using OBS Studio for over two years, and have updated my Ubuntu OS from 18.04LTS to 20.04LTS with no issue. I recently updated to 22.04LTS and discovered that some aspects of OBS have changed. Namely available sources. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling to no avail. Hoping the OBS community might have some suggestions on how best to fix this.

My wife and I Live Stream frequently every week, and I need to get this resolved ASAP. Thank you in advance for your time and assistance.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2022-09-08 19-31-05.png
    Screenshot from 2022-09-08 19-31-05.png
    106.2 KB · Views: 435

alexandrehuat

I think the problem comes from the interaction between Ubuntu 22.04 and OBS Studio regardless of the version.

Here is what I did if you want to reproduce:

Bash:
apt list --all-versions obs-studio
# result:
# obs-studio/jammy 28.0.1-0obsproject1~jammy amd64
# obs-studio/jammy 27.2.3+dfsg1-1 amd64

sudo apt install obs-studio # installs 28.0.1
# or
sudo apt install obs-studio=27.2.3 
# both versions show no source "Window Capture"

# before switching between two installations:
sudo apt autoremove obs-studio

alexandrehuat

I don't really know how, but I fixed it. All I can say is that I cleaned my /etc/apt/sources.list.d directory, namely I renamed files obsproject-ubuntu-obs-studio-focal.* by removing the "-focal" part. Then, I made a
Bash:
sudo apt update -y && sudo apt install obs-studio -y
and launched OBS Studio and it worked. I installed package pipewire beforehand by the way.

1663751568277.png

5um_Buddy

only a black screen and my cursor is available, with zero audio input options when I "sudo obs" and only audio options (mic, desktop audio - all fine) are available with no video capture options when I do "obs" in terminal. I recently upgraded to: Ubuntu 22.04. Edit:. I'm in a similar boat as CSMMaster.

5um_Buddy

When I log into Ubuntu I click on my username, then in the bottom right I click on the gear icon and Ubuntu on XORG, then I enter my password and then I open up OBS as normal. all my video and audio options are workinf as normal again. Thank you. Sorry to waste anyone’s time.

ubuntusux

Using 22.04 ubuntu, I suddenly could not start obs. Actually, ubuntu seems to have borked a number of different things involving video. Flameshot, a screen grabbing utility, and peek, a gif screen capturing program.

Following 5um:

i installed the source ` sudo apt install obs-studio=27.2.3+dfsg1-1` which i found by using the op's `apt list --all-versions obs-studio` command , then had to start obs with `sudo obs`.

Otherwise, before I had an error whereby I could not start obs. This error complained about my video card not being compatible. I read elsewhere a week or two ago the justification for this, and it seems that it could have been due to my window manager and/or its interaction with qte, but I don't quite recall the specifics. Anyway, the above (seems) to have at least allowed me to start obs, record video, and save stuff, without crashing.

sgeulette

After upgrade from 21.10 to 22.04, the xcomposite window source is no more available (except when run as sudo but in this case, the audio is no more available). With the PipeWire window source, the recorded video is black.

mkosciewicz

After upgrade from 21.10 to 22.04, the xcomposite window source is no more available (except when run as sudo but in this case, the audio is no more available). With the PipeWire window source, the recorded video is black.
Exactly the same issue. No matter the manual installation of 'Pipewire'

Tuna

Pipewire alone won't do it. You need the xdg-desktop-portal for your DE. Ans most likely a restart of the DE too.

batfan47

I don't really know how, but I fixed it. All I can say is that I cleaned my /etc/apt/sources.list.d directory, namely I renamed files obsproject-ubuntu-obs-studio-focal.* by removing the "-focal" part. Then, I made a
Bash:
sudo apt update -y && sudo apt install obs-studio -y
and launched OBS Studio and it worked. I installed package pipewire beforehand by the way.
I simply removed the obs-studio files in /etc/apt/sources.list.d which were present there due to my installation as a snap package.

Pipewire was already installed in my system. I then installed obs-studio as above and it started working again. Many thanks to alexandrehuat