Update notification change

ResolutePixel

It would be great if instead of telling us about an update when we launch the program, it would tell us right after we end the stream.

When I launch obs, I'm about to use it and don't want to be held up for an unknown period of time while it updates.
But generally when I end a stream I'm done with the program and don't care what It does after that.

AaronD

I second this! I do the same thing with OS updates...manually because the automatic logic doesn't. And it gives me the most possible time to troubleshoot if something were to break. (OBS v27 to v28, for example, breaks a lot of plugins without warning, and if you don't already know, it'll also wipe out all of their settings even if you do get them working again)

On Linux, I can add a shutdown script that updates everything automatically, so I just shut down normally and it "just happens" then. And because Linux also updates all of the apps at the same time (the apps themselves don't, at all), that's covered too. And of course, the formal automatic-update is disabled.

On Windows, it's a bit harder, but it can be approximated:
  1. Set it to not update on metered connections. (the purpose of that setting is to not surprise you by downloading a GiB worth of updates in the background on a 1 GiB phone plan)
  2. Set EVERY connection to metered! Even if it's not, set it that way anyway, so that #1 prevents an automatic download.
Then update manually, AND ACTUALLY DO IT!!! Not-updating is an open invitation to get hacked. And while you're updating the OS manually, you can also update all the apps manually, because they're all independent on Windows.

Lawrence_SoCal

I would vote against such a change as wasted development effort
For example - my workflow is such that I start using OBS Studio long before I'm going to start Streaming/Recording. Once I'm done streaming, it is time for me to move onto something else (and often shutting down PC). So telling me AFTER streaming/Recording is over is a BAD time
- This idea seems more oriented to appealing to ADD dysfunction, than a functional need
if anything, (and I don't really like this) maybe have a non-default General Settings Option for an update check at time of clicking Exit. If there is an update, a notice can popup, with an option to stop the exit and update instead?

And yes, I'm in the manual update OS and apps crowd, as after decades of experience, I simply know better than to trust auto-updating

An update availability check when any app starts (OBS Studio included) is most logical and easiest to implement. And for users awaiting a required (function/security, etc) fix, earliest possible notification is appropriate. and users (especially of FOSS) should be planning an update (system backup or other plan to cleanly back out update, aware of implications/dependencies (like UI change with v28 and plugin impact, etc)), and testing afterwards, rather than 'letting it happen'.

For me, in last 3+ years, I've yet to have an OBS Studio update that I needed to apply the day (and often the week) it was released. And as a NDI user, some updates have dependencies meaning month+ waits. so, I'm struggling to see exact timing of an OBS Studio update availability notice being all that important

AaronD

@Lawrence_SoCal I see that reasoning too, but what I've seen from others running media software, they'll take any update as soon as it's offered, even if it's *right* before the service/show! Or not at all, ever. As if the only option that they understand is, "do I take the update or not," and any further nuance is and always will be foreign to them. Neither option is good, and "when done" is supposed to be a "best alternative", given that attitude from users.

You're right in that it's a terrible attitude, but good luck changing it!

Lawrence_SoCal

You're right in that it's a terrible attitude, but good luck changing it!
I will occasionally explain why accommodating such an approach/attitude is a bad idea...
I have no expectation that I will change a requestor's opinion .. but at least they might be aware that there is alternate perspective

I just try to make sure that anyone who does try to accommodate such folks don't negatively impact me in the process..