UNP Now Playing - Pandora Youtube GrooveShark LastFM +25More

untamed

IMPORTANT! please read:
"Untamed Now Playing" is no longer maintained, unfortunately due to a change of circumstances I'm no longer able to maintain UNP. Wykks has taken over development in my absence (I can't thank him enough) and you can find the new topic here: https://obsproject.com/forum/thread...dora-youtube-grooveshark-lastfm-29more.12633/

-----------------------------------------

"Untamed Now Playing" is a Chrome extension which parses the song title and artist from popular online radio/music sites, and writes it to a file on your hard drive. Programs such as OBS can then read the file and display it on an overlay, allowing viewers to easily see what song is currently being played. At the moment, this extension is Windows only.

Latest version: 0.6.1
Updated: 30 Jun 13
Github: https://github.com/untamed0/Untamed-Now-Playing
Changelog

Supported Sites

• 8tracks.com
  • ah.fm
  • blinkboxmusic.com
  • deezer.com
  • di.fm
  • distortionradio.com
  • grooveshark.com
  • retro.grooveshark.com
  • hypem.com
  • iheart.com
  • jango.com
  • last.fm
  • nightbot.tv
  • pandora.com
  • piki.fm
  • play.google.com
  • play.spotify.com
  • plug.dj
  • prostopleer.com
  • seoul.fm
  • slacker.com
  • songza.com
  • soundcloud.com
  • themusicninja.com
  • tunein.com
  • turntable.fm
  • vk.com
  • youtube.com
  • zaycev.fm
Support for more sites will be added over time. If you have a suggestion for a site, please reply here or open an issue on Github.

Install

There are a couple of ways to install the extension;

Install the packed extension (Stable, recommended!)
  1. Download the already packed extension here.
  2. Open Chrome, click on the Spanner/Wrench icon -> Tools -> Extensions.
  3. Drag and drop the packed extension you downloaded in Step #1.
  4. Click 'continue' on the bottom left of the Chrome window.
Install the unpacked extension (Under development, not recommended)
  1. Download the extension from Github here
  2. Extract the files to a safe place.
  3. Open Chrome, click on the Spanner/Wrench icon -> Tools -> Extensions.
  4. Tick "Developer mode" on the top right of the page.
  5. Click "Load unpacked extension" and navigate to where you extracted the files in Step #2.
Note, the unpacked extension is from the development repository and thus may contain untested code and have bugs, so it's recommended you use the packed extension, which is always tested before release - unless you don't mind being a guinea pig :).

Configuration

Once you have installed the extension, you can find the options page by either right clicking the music note icon next to the address bar and selecting Options, or by finding "Untamed Now Playing" on the Extensions page and clicking Options.

The main option to configure is the "Save Directory". This is where the file containing the now playing data will be saved. The directory will also be used for caching if you enable the "Check stream is live" option. More information explaining each option can be found by clicking the info button on the right of each option.

Please Note: If you use the "Scroll" option on OBS, you'll need to add a space (or a few) to the end of the "now playing format" option to prevent the first and last words merging.

Tutorial

Many thanks to benfuzed for this video tutorial:

And for a detailed look at advanced settings, check out this tutorial:

Limitations

At the moment, now playing data is only saved when the song intially plays and is only updated when the next song starts playing. Thus if you stop playing music, the output file will still contain the last song played.

Chrome limits what directories can be saved to, if you run into problems, try saving to a subdirectory of your profile (C:\Users\USERNAME* or C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME*).

Contact

If you have any problems/suggestions/feedback etc, please either reply here or create an issue on Github. Once installed you can also find my email/skype on the 'contact' area of the options page.

Last edited:

Staretta

Re: Untamed Now Playing - Pandora Youtube GrooveShark LastFM

Love it, use it all the time, thank you for this! :D

untamed

Staretta said:
Love it, use it all the time, thank you for this! :D
Thanks for your feedback, glad you're finding it useful :)

tony_az

Could u do this plugin for Mozila Firefox, please?

untamed

tony_az said:
Could u do this plugin for Mozila Firefox, please?
At the moment I dont have any plans to do a Firefox version, as the majority of streamers seem to use Chrome. However, once I'm happy with all the code and I release 1.0, I'll look into porting it to other browsers. Thanks for the feedback :)

spiritstr

Really nice tool, worked perfectly for my with grooveshark :)

coincidence

untamed said:
If you have a suggestion for a site, please reply here or open an issue on Github.

Support for music.google.com would be nice. Thanks a lot!

untamed

Thanks for the feedback everyone :D

coincidence said:
Support for music.google.com would be nice. Thanks a lot!
I'll look into adding music.google.com for the next version :)

nimh

Is it possible to add Nightbot compatability? Since Nightbot uses youtube links for song requests, I would assume it's not much different. However, it does embed the videos into the auto dj section of nightbot.tv which doesn't seem to get picked up by the extension.

mrcjevans

hey guys how you doing, just got this plugin set up with grooveshark, can anyone explain how i get the text to rotate? Like I set the size of the text in obs, but it always goes over when song changes etc, so is there anyway to just make the text rotate within the space I select?

Vanity

dunno if i am completly stupid o whats going on..but cant get directory to work..where and how shall i do here?i cant find or create a file either..clueless here=( plx help out.
thanks

Darkburrow

Majority uses Chrome cuz Flash is friggin broken on Firefox... i cant even open FF anymore.. the second any flash loads it crashes :/

MattTheHuman

Is there a way of splitting the Artist and Song Title into different files? Or how can I parse them out to show them separately?

Jordendb

Its not saving the notepad for to load on obs why? im doing what you say and still its not saving ..

Already tryed to other maps to save

untamed

Sorry for the delay in responding to you all. I'm currently working on the next version, when it's released I'll post here, and if you have the extension already it will be updated automatically.

nimh said:
Is it possible to add Nightbot compatability? Since Nightbot uses youtube links for song requests, I would assume it's not much different. However, it does embed the videos into the auto dj section of nightbot.tv which doesn't seem to get picked up by the extension.
This will be added in the next version.

mrcjevans said:
hey guys how you doing, just got this plugin set up with grooveshark, can anyone explain how i get the text to rotate? Like I set the size of the text in obs, but it always goes over when song changes etc, so is there anyway to just make the text rotate within the space I select?
Go to text properties, and change the scroll speed to something other than 0.

Vanity said:
dunno if i am completly stupid o whats going on..but cant get directory to work..where and how shall i do here?i cant find or create a file either..clueless here=( plx help out.
thanks
Have you set the save directory? Could you paste what the value of the setting is?

R3mbrant said:
Will look into this for the next version.

MattTheHuman said:
Is there a way of splitting the Artist and Song Title into different files? Or how can I parse them out to show them separately?
At the moment, this is only possible with xsplit, as it supports XML parsing. With OBS, you can adjust the value of "save as format" for some limited custom formatting. I'll look into adding a feature where different values are saved to different files if the OBS team aren't planning XML support.

Jordendb said:
Its not saving the notepad for to load on obs why? im doing what you say and still its not saving ..

Already tryed to other maps to save
Did you setup the save directory? What is the value of the setting? What sites have you tried? If you CTRL+SHIFT+J do you see any messages beginning with "UNP:" ?

TCi

Great work so far with this.

Would love for you to add play.spotify.com as well.

Lange

I would love if support for Slacker Radio could be implemented. I've recently started using it over Pandora as they have a much wider selection of songs.

Regardless, this looks like a fantastic tool. Great work!