Unable to record Desktop Audio

Leve97

Hi,

I would like to use OBS for the sole reason of "recording" (mainly) Youtube Clips with their respective Audio. When it comes to the Clip itself, there seems to be no problem, however, I do not succeed in recording only the desktop audio (meaning the audio from the clip I am recording).

When I go to settings -> Audio it says that "Desktop Audio" is "disabled", however I canot turn the switch on that so that it becomes activated. The only option available is "disabled".

I have double checked that my Mac allows OBS to make sound recordings, so the problem does not lie there.

I've read somewhere that one needs an extra software in order to record the audio from the desktop, such as "Virtual Audio Cable" or "Voicemeeter", is that true?

It would be really nice if someone could help me there, my goal is to make recordings of youtube clips with their respective audio without hearing any background noises...

Thanks in advance

Kind regards

Leve97

Raoul Volfoni

Hi,

I would like to use OBS for the sole reason of "recording" (mainly) Youtube Clips with their respective Audio. When it comes to the Clip itself, there seems to be no problem, however, I do not succeed in recording only the desktop audio (meaning the audio from the clip I am recording).

When I go to settings -> Audio it says that "Desktop Audio" is "disabled", however I canot turn the switch on that so that it becomes activated. The only option available is "disabled".

I have double checked that my Mac allows OBS to make sound recordings, so the problem does not lie there.

I've read somewhere that one needs an extra software in order to record the audio from the desktop, such as "Virtual Audio Cable" or "Voicemeeter", is that true?

It would be really nice if someone could help me there, my goal is to make recordings of youtube clips with their respective audio without hearing any background noises...

Thanks in advance

Kind regards

Leve97
Hi,

First of all, OBS is a safe but not a premium choice for what you want to do.
For example: youtube-dl -f bestvideo+bestaudio "link to youtube video" is just perfect.

I usually record desktop audio for my lectures with BlackHole (~virtual sound card)
1. Install BackHole
2. Audio configuration: Create multiple output by clicking + that contains an classic output (if you want to keep normal output) and BlackHole
3. Select this multiple output device as active (notice that you have lost volume control)
4. OBS : settings -> audio -> desktop audio = BlackHole
5. OBS: add audio source with BlackHole as device

You should now see your monitoring window is now happy.
Enjoy recording your desktop.
Chris.