UDP streaming

Necril

I have a fairly specific question regarding UDP streaming.

I need to achieve true CBR in a UDP stream. The source files are mp4s with around 12mbit/s and naturally, they fluctuate around that bitrate. I think I solved the peaks but I am having no luck with the dips. I want to add null packets in the .ts stream in order to iron out dips in the bitrate. How can I do that in OBS? Here's a screenshot with the precise settings:

P.S. Since there is no error in the stream itself, there is no log file.

Attachments

• OBS UDP.png
    OBS UDP.png
    954.4 KB · Views: 264

Lawrence_SoCal

I'm curious what the use case is for wanting/needing to waste bandwidth using a protocol meant to function with possible packet loss? The thought that occurs to me is that there is monitoring of the stream and you are trying to make it harder for whomever is monitoring to understand content?? ie, monitoring of stream could detect changes in stream rate, and potentially narrow down matches ... this would be something that RIAA would do to love for illegal music streams (possibly even identifying songs in the process)
but such monitoring/matching would work primarily for matching against known content, not improv speech

again, just curious that actual use case for this request

Necril

I need to achieve true CBR in order to stream content to cable networks. Without true CBR I get a whole slew of errors during the muxing process which result in image stuttering, green screens, tearing, freezing, etc.

Necril

check keyframe interval, why 5 sec ?
Since I'm (trying) to stream to DVB-C I need a short key interval so that the TV can start showing the video content. 5 is actually rather high. However, having keyframes often causes a significant reduction of quality (which is something which I need to make a different topic about, but the jest of it is that whenever a keyframe passes the quality dips A LOT by pixelating the image and then rapidly improving it over 300-400ms. As weird as it may sound keyframe intervals of 600 or even 800 increase the video quality like mad.)

For now, I'm only trying to sort out null packs, but who knows, maybe keyframes have something to do with it.

What do you mean by this:
scene cut detection threshold to 0

I I haven't seen this in OBS or in ffmpeg's documentation (though I might have missed it)

Necril

Yeah, I was confused at first, because my other software counts keyframes in frames (which means that 5 would mean 5 frames or 6 times per second). I didn't know about the scene cut detection though.

Do you know how to add null packets?