Ubuntu 21.04 and latest snap stable version of OBS problem encountered

tjmarkowitz

First of all let me say I love OBS for Linux! A great tool with many strengths. As a newb I've only started to scratch the surface of using it for recording, but one issue has cropped up consistently since I started exercising it over the last few days: I'm running an up-to-date Kubuntu Hirsute system and whenever I try to add an "Image" source to one of my scenes the pop-up comes up to let me choose an external image and then won't actually let me choose anything. By this I mean that I select "Browse" to locate an image, the standard KDE modal dialog appears and I select a PNG file. However, after selecting it there, the OBS modal dialog returns without the file I just selected and then will NOT let me continue on no matter what I try. None of the buttons (Cancel, OK, ...) respond. I can still iconify the dialog window, move it around. etc. However at that point I'm essentially dead in the water with OBS since I can't return to the main panel. Each time I've attempted this process I ultimately have to kill the whole main thread in order to exit OBS, either from the shell or using xkill on one of its windows. Not a good thing, needless to say.

Other than avoiding this quirk (well, it IS pretty important over all, I suppose :-) I've been able to create scenes add multiple cameras and sources, and to successfully record some screens and voiceovers. If anyone has an inkling as to what might be happening or has thoughts about a fix, it'd be much appreciated.

TIA,
//Ted M.

Log file: https://obsproject.com/logs/VMAfFJFUdIwmwA9J

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210706_154331.png
    Screenshot_20210706_154331.png
    266.9 KB · Views: 135
  • Screenshot_20210706_154418.png
    Screenshot_20210706_154418.png
    33 KB · Views: 135

tjmarkowitz

Actually I handed tried that yet. I was under the impression it was the stable version, but I'm happy to try to remove this one and use apt to load another one if you can tell me where I should get it from.

Many thanks...

tjmarkowitz

I deselected snap as the default in Discover and see that there is an older version (26.1.2 from 1/8/21) that I can install and try out. I'll do that and see what happens. Not sure what features might then be missing, but we'll see.

Harold

The snap is not an officially maintained package. Only the PPA is. The snap has historically had missing functionality without special configuration where the PPA does not lose the functionality

click the penguin

tjmarkowitz

As you might have suspected, given your suggestion, there is something in v27 that has caused this. When I used the standard Hirsute repo and reinstalled OBS the first thing I tried was the image source, which works just fine now. Not sure what's up, but I hope someone can find and fix the problem in V27 at some point.

Cheers,

//Ted M.

Harold

the "Hirsute" repo is also not an official package of OBS Studio. The PPA available from the download page linked above is.

RandallR

I can confirm that the OBS-Studio Snap (27.0.0-modified (64 bit))available in Software for Ubuntu 20.04 does not allow/provide the ability to add an Image to a Scene. The "Properties for "Image"" dialog box comes up but cannot see any image files nor navigate to any folder (Browse button has no effect). Snap interfaces to home and removable-media are enabled.

snap interfaces obs-studio
Slot Plug
gtk-common-themes:gtk-3-themes obs-studio
gtk-common-themes:icon-themes obs-studio
gtk-common-themes:sound-themes obs-studio
:alsa obs-studio
:audio-playback obs-studio
:audio-record obs-studio
:avahi-control obs-studio
:browser-support obs-studio
:camera obs-studio
:desktop obs-studio
:desktop-legacy obs-studio
:gsettings obs-studio
:home obs-studio
:jack1 obs-studio
:kernel-module-observe obs-studio
:network obs-studio
:network-bind obs-studio
:opengl obs-studio
:pulseaudio obs-studio
:raw-usb obs-studio
:removable-media obs-studio
:screen-inhibit-control obs-studio
:unity7 obs-studio
:upower-observe obs-studio
:wayland obs-studio
:x11 obs-studio

1626977451756.png

RandallR

Update:
Version 27.0.1 in official OBS-Studio Ubuntu PPA does not have this problem, so apparently the Snap has introduced some error(s). Any Snapcrafters here that can take a look?