Question / Help Trying to sort out Mic Echo and understand the OBS interface?

rachalmers

I've seen the note about Mac sound on the forum and using the plugin iCanSeeYou, and have installed it but not enabled it yet. I can't reboot, there's a big download coming in.

Ok, ignore all that. I mostly have it working but am still getting an audio echo when I speak.
I'm now using iShowU, and my Focusrite Scarlett USB mic interface. I've followed the video to the letter that is shown elsewhere, the OBS For Mac Updated Setup Guide and Soundflower Audio Alternative. By Chupacabra Tutorials.
Anyone on a Mac have a clue how to avoid the echo?

Thanks

Last edited:

Narcogen

Check Edit > Advanced Audio Properties to see what sources are set to "monitor and output" instead of just "output"

Check Settings > Advanced to see what your "Audio Monitoring Device" is set to.

The common issue with echo is that you're capturing a device and then sending your monitor output to a device that is being captured.

If you're using an aggregate device so that you can capture and hear, you can turn monitoring off on your sources in Advanced Audio Properties.

If not, you can see if you can set your monitoring device to something else (like an external USB interface if you're using one" so that this output is not going to a device that OBS is capturing.

rachalmers

Ok, that's making sense kind of. I can see that I probably have everything set up wrong...
So let's see.
1. Edit -> Advanced Audio Properties shows me.
Screenshot 2019-02-05 16.57.43.png

2. Settings -> Advanced shows me I have "default" set. ??? I have the dropdown clicked here so all devices show.
Screenshot 2019-02-05 16.59.00.png

Ok, I'll see where I end up from here. :-)

thank you for your help. I'll get it yet.

Narcogen

Default means it goes to what the output is set to in System Preferences, which may be something you're already capturing.

You may also wish to disable your two devices in Settings > Audio and then explicitly add them as sources in your scenes as this gives you a chance to rename them.

It's impossible, for instance, for me to tell what "Mic/Aux" and "Mic/Aux 2" are from these screenshots-- for all I can tell they may be the same device added twice, which would also cause echo.

rachalmers

**** Solved **** Thanks
Ok, got it. Solved. Thanks for the pointers guys. See my recent post today. I put together a self help for others as well.

pablofu

**** Solved **** Thanks
Ok, got it. Solved. Thanks for the pointers guys. See my recent post today. I put together a self help for others as well.
Hey. I am having the same issue. Can you please let me know how did you solve it exactly? Thanks a lot

rachalmers

Make sure there is nothing monitoring your sound output that the mic can also hear. If you can hear output without your headphones, so can the mic.
Also, if any thing that is set to monitor is directing sound to your input as well, it will be going into your mic.

Bombadil15

Make sure there is nothing monitoring your sound output that the mic can also hear. If you can hear output without your headphones, so can the mic.
Also, if any thing that is set to monitor is directing sound to your input as well, it will be going into your mic.

But Zoom desktop app can record the call no problem without echo by using echo cancellation. For example, I have a lav mic and external speakers to hear other Zoom callers. When they talk, my mic doesn't pick up the output of the external speakers. But recording the Zoom call in OBS does pick it up. Surely OBS can cancel echo like Zoom does, right? If so, I haven't figured it out yet.

clouddancer9

echo are normally caused by other apps using the device too. Best option is to use Audio Midi setup and configure correctly and to have more control over recorded devices vs desktop sound and also mixing both together.