Trying to set up a stream inside a LAN

WendyMars56

I want to monitor a 3D printer in another room,I would like to have a video feed from this computer controlling the 3D printer to my desktop in my room . I am not a total nude with computers but I have no idea how to do this, help

KUCTech

Hello WendyMars56: If you are using OBS on the monitor computer, and you want to view the feed on another computer on the same LAN, you should be able to do this with NDI Tools, and the equivalent NDI OBS Plug in.

I hope this helps.

Cheers. . .

Lawrence_SoCal

Uh, are you planning to Record a video of this camera connected to a remote computer, or just for real-time monitoring purposes?
If just monitoring, not sure why you'd use OBS Studio? At first think, there are much easier ways to accomplish such monitoring.
And even with monitoring, why not Record on the PC with the camera? there are ways to have the video file readable remotely even while being written to (ie Recording in progress)

WendyMars56

Uh, are you planning to Record a video of this camera connected to a remote computer, or just for real-time monitoring purposes?
If just monitoring, not sure why you'd use OBS Studio? At first think, there are much easier ways to accomplish such monitoring.
And even with monitoring, why not Record on the PC with the camera? there are ways to have the video file readable remotely even while being written to (ie Recording in progress)
Real time monitoring only at this point. If I can monitor other computers it will be a big win for me.

WendyMars56

Hello WendyMars56: If you are using OBS on the monitor computer, and you want to view the feed on another computer on the same LAN, you should be able to do this with NDI Tools, and the equivalent NDI OBS Plug in.

I hope this helps.

Cheers. . .
is it a download or what? Not sure hoe to use it?

KUCTech

Hello WendyMars56: NDI Tools is a group of network utilities which transfers data across a LAN. So the idea is that an image or video generated on one computer can be viewed on another computer (among other things). You would download the NDI Tools utility onto both, or all computers where you want access. Search for NDI Tools and follow the instructions. And while I don't know where OBS fits into what you are doing, there is an NDI OBS plugin if you need it.

Also, there are YouTube videos that explain how NDI works and how to set it up - it's not that complicated.

I hope this helps. . .

Regards,
Tony N

KUCTech

Hello WendyMars56: Without knowing where/how OBS fits into I want to monitor a 3D printer in another room,I would like to have a video feed from this computer controlling the 3D printer to my desktop in my room, it's difficult to know what components you need. But if you are using some combination of OBS Studio and NDI, then you will need the OBS NDI Plugin. In case it helps, here is AI's explanation what the integration accomplishes:

In summary, the NDI Plugin is essential for integrating OBS Studio with the NDI ecosystem, enabling you to bring in NDI sources, send your OBS output as an NDI stream, and even output individual sources as NDI streams with audio. It facilitates seamless video/audio transmission between OBS and other NDI-compatible applications or hardware over an IP network.

If you are new to all this and it seems a bit daunting, my suggestion is to install the NDI Tools, and test/experiment access across your LAN on different computers.

Depending on your setup, what might work and be easier to implement than NDI, is qhobbes suggestion: VDO Ninja. There should be no noticeable lag and it has the added advantage of not requiring a software install.

Anyway, I hope this hasn't confused you even more!

Regards,
Tony N