Question / Help Trying to run OBS on VPS [digitalocean] - GUI Installed

wooranker

I have installed GUI.

I'm trying to run OBS in my digiltalocean server. I have installed GUI. but still i'm getting this error "failed to initialise video. your gpu may not be supported"

is there any way i can force OBS to start ? by installing some extra modules, encoders may be :3 [i'm not sure at all]

wooranker

i'm currently getting this error

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-01-18 at 3.00.43 PM.png
    Screenshot 2019-01-18 at 3.00.43 PM.png
    578.3 KB · Views: 457

Narcogen

That's saying your VPS doesn't have a real GPU. OBS isn't made to be used on virtual servers. (That doesn't mean it can never be, but it's not really intended to be. It expects to be running on real hardware, with a real graphics card it has direct access to.)

regstuff

I have rented the managed server of DigitalOcean. Ofcourse, the digitalOcean does not provides the managed server all by itself. So, I have to go for the third party host named Cloudways. So, do I have to face the same issue like this graphic card or some other sort of issues or I would be able to pass through it with ease.
You could try a cloud machine that comes with a GPU. These are available on AWS or Google Cloud, but pretty expensive. And even then it's quite a roundabout job getting OBS to work on them.
Not sure what your application is, but if you need to stream from a linux server, try using ffmpeg.

oti4500

I am using the OBS software in the Windows 10 on DigitalOcean VPS. The streaming it's working (of course, with only x264 (CPU only) encoder) | Not required real GPU

TUTORIAL: How to install Windows 10/Windows Server '12, '16, '19 on DigitalOcean (or ANY VPS services) youtube video

0. Choose an VPS plan, where 2 or more virtual processor cores, and 2GB or more RAM (4 GB recommended)
1. Install And Use the Windows 10/Server
2. Install OBS and setup the streaming settings (and anything what you want)
3. Start the streaming. DONE!

Attachments

• do vps 11.png
    do vps 11.png
    279.6 KB · Views: 383
Last edited: