Question / Help Tried every fix.. still black/grey display capture... help!

D.Nev

Hello, 1st time post for black/grey display/game capture in OBS 24.0.3.
Log file is attached.
I have tried 5 or 6 other screen capture programs and they all work, not OBS.
Strange. System is a Acer Predator Laptop with Nvidia 1060.
I've read and used every "read this first" tip for the issue I could find.
I have updated all drivers.
I run as administrator.
I have assigned OBS to both the Nvidia and Intel graphics with no luck either way.
I have decided to post my log for review by those who may have a better idea of what to look for.
Log was aqquired using the Nvidia graphics card.

Several years ago I had an issue like this with OBS and applied a fix I found online with success.
It wasn't the assigned graphics card solution. Darned if I can remember what it was.
Again, Log file is attached.
https://obsproject.com/logs/C9ZEZTzOEuw6sDfp
Thank you!!! would really appreciate any assistance.
Dnev

Attachments

• 2019-11-21 10-47-20.txt
    5.4 KB · Views: 328

Nate882004

I'm having the same issue. Been through all the settings, changed graphics cards, online fix tips, and yet nothing. I have, however, been able to get it to work once for only a little while but lost it.

Attachments

• 2019-11-21 11-31-48.txt
    10.5 KB · Views: 121

Nate882004

I can display my games but display capture, other windows (ie Skype, Explorer, etc) won't display, I am able to display my webcam and NDI cam.

D.Nev

Yes, it seems this type of thread pops up often. I do think OBS is the best out there but may need to find an alternative as I capture desktop and webcam often. Many do this but not without either $ or such limited features it's a joke. If any of us find a solution lets please post it back here for other!

Narcogen

11:31:49.338: Adapter 0: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
11:31:49.338: Dedicated VRAM: 1975517184
11:31:49.338: Shared VRAM: 4187783168
11:31:49.338: output 0: pos={0, 0}, size={3840, 2160}, attached=true
11:31:49.338: Adapter 1: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630
11:31:49.338: Dedicated VRAM: 134217728
11:31:49.338: Shared VRAM: 4187783168
11:31:49.344: Loading up D3D11 on adapter NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (0)

You can't perform a desktop capture with OBS on a dual GPU laptop while running OBS on the discrete GPU.

Laptop? Black screen when capturing? Read here first.

D.Nev

Hello Narcogen, if I understand correctly the graphics should be set to the intel? Which I have done in past efforts... I have set both ways. I will attach logs using the intel only in just a few minutes. Thank you by the way!

D.Nev

I set the global and program specific GPU to Intel integrated graphics with no success.
Finally, I disabled the Nvidia device in device manager... OBS worked. Evidently the Nvidia was still trying to be involved even though the Nvidia control settings showed integrated graphics chosen. Actually disabling the Nvidia card itself is what it took.

Hope this helps someone and thank you Narcogen, I don't believe I would have gone to the extreme of disabling the entire card otherwise.

D.Nev

That does explain it and yes I have the update installed, but most likely not for long. This was informative however... we live and learn. Thank you all! (I don't know the procedure or etiquette but I would think it helpful to post a thread with something like " the Update breaks dual gpu OBS, here's the solution"... or something)

D.Nev

Final post: Uninstalling the 1909 update did work, OBS is correct...HOWEVER...even though I had OBS selected in the Nvidia control panel to run with integrated and set global settings to integrated I still had to right click and "run with" integrated graphics before it all worked correctly.